• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenant refuses to pay last month rent of lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joberti

What is the name of your state? Florida

I am the LL and the lease expires on July 31st, 2006. On June 20th the tenant notified me (verbally, not in writing) that he will be leaving at the end of June. Although the lease indicates a security deposit of $300.00, the tenant never actually provided the deposit.

Basically the tenant ows me one month's rent for July ($1,200), as well as a water bill for $136. What are my legal options? Where do I go to sue him for breach of contract? Can anyone tell me what this will cost me in fees with the court? I would like to know if it's financially worth it to sue him or not. Also, where do I go to ruin his credit? Should I contact a collection agency? Please note that I don't know his SS#, but because he's moving to another unit within the complex, I should be able to find out his new address relatively easy.

This was a tenant who was there when I purchased the property. I would have never rented the unit under such terms, but I was stuck with a situation.

Thanks for any advise you can provide!

Last edited:

xylene

joberti said:
What is the name of your state? Florida

I am the LL and the lease expires on July 31st, 2006. On June 20th the tenant notified me (verbally, not in writing) that he will be leaving at the end of June. Although the lease indicates a security deposit of $300.00, the tenant never actually provided the deposit.

That was a HUGE mistake.
Basically the tenant ows me one month's rent for July ($1,200), as well as a water bill for $136. What are my legal options? Where do I go to sue him for breach of contract? Can anyone tell me what this will cost me in fees with the court? I would like to know if it's financially worth it to sue him or not. Also, where do I go to ruin his credit? Should I contact a collection agency? Please note that I don't know his SS#, but because he's moving to another unit within the complex, I should be able to find out his new address relatively easy.
Sue him in court...

This was a tenant who was there when I purchased the property. I would have never rented the unit under such terms, but I was stuck with a situation.

Thanks for any advise you can provide!
Bone up on landlord tenant law, since you are a landlord now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">