• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenant Rent Reimbursement Rights - does my situation apply?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

th1pool

Hello - thanks for reading this post. I don't know if my situation qualifies, and haven't been able to find an answer so far short of calling someone - but I am curious about rights for potential rent reimbursement.

A short summary of my current situation: I'm in the process of trying to relocate while currently renting an apartment in Center City Philadelphia. My landlord decided he wanted to completely renovate the apt kitchen and said it would involve a week of "inconvenience". I agreed to let him do this and asked for his blessing to let me off my lease early when it is finished, pending my ability to find a replacement tenant.

He started the project on Tuesday 2/2 - flash forward to today, 1 week has passed - he emailed me today with an update that the kitchen sink, new dishwasher, new oven, are not operable yet and won't be until the new counter tops are installed. He stated measurements for new countertops will take place this Friday. So it's looking like this is turning into a 2-3+ week process. I've been staying out of town for the week, was planning on returning tonight, but am not returning yet after learning of the kitchen's current state.

I asked if he'll consider reimbursement for the extra time this is taking, and he responded very defensively that this all benefits me and will make the apt rent faster when complete. I'm not trying to get into a battle with him, but am feeling like he's trying to bully me a bit and not sure how to respond.

Does anyone have educated insights on something like this?

His exact email is copy/pasted below...#2 and #5 are what alarmed me, considering he was very clear initially that it would be a one week project. I'll also make note that this is a studio apartment, and #6 was an existing condition I asked to be fixed when I moved in last August 2015:

Hi Toby:

Here is the latest. The kitchen is mostly done. The appliances are in but not all hooked up.
1. Refrigerator: The appliance co is returning tomorrow to reverse the door and install the handles. Other than that it should be fine. Contractor left old refrigerator there until the switch is made and afterwards he'll remove it.
2. Oven and dishwasher are also in place- but he must hook it up to water/gas/electric. For oven he has to attach the burners.
3. Microwave should be working. Yes, this is a new addition.
4. He has to attach the molding around the cabinets, and the knobs for handle.
5. Sink is not operable because this must be done in conjunction with the counter top which as far as I know is still scheduled to take measurements on Friday.
6. I'm trying to clean up the bathroom some, just to get rid of some of the mildew on shower walls, and remove some of the chip paint around sink, with some spackling. I left a few things there as I'll likely be there again tomorrow briefly.

Gail in Georgia

From the posting it looks looks like the kitchen will have a refrigerator, microwave, and if hooked up, oven and dishwasher; just not the countertop and sink.

Sure; you can ask for a rent reduction.

Your landlord can also change his/her mind in terms of letting your out of your lease early.

Your battle. Choose how you want to go with this.

Gail

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">