• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenant Rights? LL is selling my house.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Robin9007

What is the name of your state? OHIO

MY LL IS SELLING THIS HOUSE. REALTOR CALLS ARE SWAMPING MY PHONE THEY WANT TO SHOW. OKAY BUT DON'T I HAVE RIGHTS TO REFUSE SHOWINGS? I TALKED TO HER REALTOR AND SHE SAID I ONLY HAVE A RIGHT OF 24 HOUR NOTICE, BUT THAT I DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO REFUSE SHOWINGS BECAUSE IT'S NOT MY HOUSE. I DISAGREE. I PAY GOOD MONEY AND ON TIME ALWAYS PLUS ALL THE UTULITY BILLS AND I WORK 3RD SHIFT SO MOST SHOWINGS ARE FOR MORNING OR NIGHT AND I CAN'T HAVE PEOPLE IN MY HOUSE THEN. SO FAR I'VE LET THEM SHOW 5X IN THE LAST 4 MO. AND DECLINED ABOUT 25 SHOWINGS. HER AGENT CALLED TO DISCUSS THIS WITH ME AND TOLD ME THAT WE'RE AT THE END HERE, WE NEED TO SHOW THE HOUSE AND I NEED TO COMPLY.

MY LEASE IS MO. TO MO. AND I'LL BE MOVING OUT AT THE END OF MAY (THIS MONTH!) SO THEY SHOULD JUST WAIT UNTIL I GO, BUT THE REALTOR SAID THAT'S NOT HOW IT WORKS. I UNDERSTAND MY LL HAS MONEY ISSUES AND NEEDS TO SELL IT RIGHT NOW, AND I'VE TRIED DOING ALL I CAN TO MAKE THE HOUSE AVAILABLE TO SHOW, BUT I REFUSE TO HAVE TO SHOW IT 5X A WEEK!!! THAT'S SOME SORT OF INFRINGEMENT ON MY TIME IN MY HOUSE, ISN'T IT? SHE SAID IT'S NOT, AND THAT IF I HAD QUESTIONS ABOUT MY RIGHTS I SHOULD READ THE LEASE AND HIRE AN ATTORNEY. I ONLY HAVE A 1-PG LEASE AND IT DOES REFERENCE THE 24 HOUR NOTICE BUT NOTHING ELSE. SHOULDN'T THERE BE MORE??? I DON'T WANT TO SUE ANYONE, I JUST DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO SHOW MY HOUSE TO EVERYONE!

ENASNI

Whoa

Take off the caps lock it is so hard to read and looks like shouting.
Look It sucks when they sell your dwelling underneath your nose.. I did not read your thread in entire but... 24 hour notice is the usual.. Look up your states laws.
Google or otherwise search the internet for what your state says... Sorry I would help more but tis Saturday and a beautiful day in California...Gotta run.
Good luck and soo sorry for ya.

treese

The realtor is correct - you have the right to receive 24 hour notice of a showing. Notice of a showing is not asking permission, the LL (or agent) has the right to show the property. You cannot reasonably refuse entry to the LL (or agent). You do not have to be home at the time of the showing.

Allowing only 5 of 25 showings in the last 4 months is NOT complying and IMO not reasonable of you. The LL and realtor have a right to be frustrated at this point. 5 showings a week is not excessive or unreasonable.

In my State, the LL could force you to comply through the courts and you would be responsible for the legal fees incurred by the LL for pushing it so far.

You are missing the point ... it is not "your house" and LL/T law protects the LL's right to sell as well as your right to be notified 24 hours in advance of showings.

ENASNI

what Treese said

I did browse the Ohio state LL/Tenant laws.. and could have posted a link... but it would give Robin more information if she would search engine it her/him self.

Hi Treese! happy Saturday!

treese

Hi Enasni ... rainy and chilly all day here and I have a warm jacuzzi awaiting :)

Good luck Robin ...

ENASNI

Jacuzzi here too, but can't get right leg in for awhile... long story.

Robin.. no kidding. Ohio has great links... I have more time now Sprinklers are on.
http://www.ohiolandlordtenant.com/

http://tenant.net/Other_Areas/Ohio/landlord.html

http://tenant.net/Other_Areas/Ohio/landlord.html

I did not read them all... I just am not sure, Robin.. if you are internet savey... so I though I would help.. just click on the links it might get you some info.

I do not mean to insult you if you know about the internet, but sometimes people are not so sure about it... but how they found us... makes me wonder how they can not find the LL tenant laws. the things that make you go hmmmm

Good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">