• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenant/Tenant- Can tenant choose new renter?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wireless-101

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hi there,

I withdrew from school and spoke with the landlord about having someone take over my lease. The landlord said I could find someone, but that the roommate needs to o.k. it.
(The lease is Aug.31, '08 - Aug. 31st, '09) I live in san diego, ca.

Well I found someone qualified, but the roommate said no because the applicant is a 21 year old student. I've been looking for a week and found only 1 person interested in taking over my lease.

We live near a university, but my roommate doesn't want to live with a student now.
She could spend weeks or months looking for a roommate to be "best friends" with and I would have to continue paying rent each month despite having moved back home.

She is looking for a roomie who's over 30 and she can be friends with. I am looking for someone responsible who can pay rent on time.

1) So can the roommate have all the say in choosing the next tenant?
2) Should I consult an attorney if the roommate isn't being reasonable?
3) What's a reasonable amount of time to find a roommate?

FarmerJ

Suggestion , tell your roomate that if she rejects too many replacements that she risk losing any claim she might have regarding your obligation to her when you cease paying rent.

Hot Topic

You're going to have to be firm with her, and remind her that the priority is not that someone she can "hang with" be found but someone who'll pass muster with the landlord. Now's the time to impress on her that if she continues to be so particular, she may find herself paying all of the rent.

MIRAKALES

Introduce prospective tenant to LL and allow LL to screen for pre-qualification.
Once approval is met advise LL that remaining tenant wants to disqualify the only applicant. This will place outgoing tenant in position to confirm that qualified tenant was approved by LL but disqualified by roommate. This would make remaining tenant culpable in a court of law for the rent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">