• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenant or Transient Occupant?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Terry Fry

(Virginia) - Tenant or transient?

This question relates to the 'transient' occupancy exemption to the Virginia Residential Landlord and Tenant Act - i.e., hotels, motels, etc. where the occupant pays by the day or week but has occupied the premises (room) continuously for more than thirty days.

The Situation: I have occupied a room in a hotel/motel for more than thirty days. I was billed and paid the hotel on a weekly basis. Included in bills were transient taxes. After I did not pay the weekly rate for several weeks, the hotel (manager) ordered me to vacate the premises at 11pm one night. I complied even though there were no eviction or unlawful detainer notices, service or court order presented to me.

However, I had personal property in a locked storage area (closet) near the front desk to which I had no access. The manager refused to return my property to me. The property was never returned.

At a later date, a judgement was obtained by the hotel for the monies owed. I never received service even though the hotel (manager) had then and has now personal knowledge of my current address.

1st Question: Was my occupancy exempt to the Landlord Tenant Act? (see Virginia § 55-248.5. Exemptions; exception to exemption, A-10). If 'no', shouldn't I have received the due process as provided by the Act - i.e., notice, eviction, unlawful detainer, service, etc.? If 'yes', shouldn't I have been allowed to vacate the room/premises with my personal property? In either case, shouldn't I have received a notice and/or accounting of the disposition of the personal property held?

2nd Question: If my stay at the hotel was exempt, should I have been charged the transient occupancy tax? (see Virginia § 58.1-3819. Transient occupancy tax, B). Also, (if exempt) shouldn't I have received the required disclosures? (See Virginia § 55-248.12. Disclosure)

The court has garnished monies in my bank account - currently held until the return date of 7/10/01. What actions/remedies are available to me given the above issues?

Thanks for ANY help!
Terry Fry

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">