• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tenant vs occupant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

upsetfriend

I am a tenant and have someone listed on my lease as an occupant. What am I able to do to remove them from the property?

I live in PA and I am a tenant currently on a month to month lease. I have another person living with me that is listed on the lease as a occupant. The occupant brought a dog into the home and refuses to get rid of the dog and he also refuses to leave. Our lease states we are not allowed to have any pets. What are my rights as a tenant?

Searchertwin

I am a tenant and have someone listed on my lease as an occupant. What am I able to do to remove them from the property?

I live in PA and I am a tenant currently on a month to month lease. I have another person living with me that is listed on the lease as a occupant. The occupant brought a dog into the home and refuses to get rid of the dog and he also refuses to leave. Our lease states we are not allowed to have any pets. What are my rights as a tenant?
Need a little more information.
Is this occupant paying rent? If so to whom?

treese

Since this person is listed on your lease as an occupant, you will have to put your foot down and enforce the no pets rule.

If you do not, the landlord can issue a Notice to Cure the Lease Violation or Quit. If the dog is not gone per any Notice given, the landlord would have no choice but to evict the both of you.

Since you are the person who signed the lease as a tenant, the landlord can hold you liable for any court costs, attorney fes, damages, etc.

acmb05

Since this person is listed on your lease as an occupant, you will have to put your foot down and enforce the no pets rule.

If you do not, the landlord can issue a Notice to Cure the Lease Violation or Quit. If the dog is not gone per any Notice given, the landlord would have no choice but to evict the both of you.

Since you are the person who signed the lease as a tenant, the landlord can hold you liable for any court costs, attorney fes, damages, etc.
I agree with almost everything you said.The only part I do not agree with is where you state the OP's landlord would have to issues a cure or quit. I think the OP can do this himself and evict if need be. Since the tenant pays him he is the occupants landlord and as such he can enforce the lease against him..

atomizer

Both replies are correct, but easiest solution is to take the dog to the pound when roomy goes out to take the garbage. ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">