• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenant vs Tenant Security Deposit Issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lauraanselmo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I moved in and paid my $400 deposit to the previous tenant, no questions asked. I lived at this place for no more than three months, gave 30 days notice when I was planning on moving out, offered to post an ad on craigslist to help find a new tenant for my then room mate, and upon moving my things out the final day, offered to help clean up/vacuum etc... She told me I didnt need to worry about it.

About 4 months out of the place, I still havnt heard from my former room mate about the deposit, upon asking her for the money she avoided the subject and eventually gave the responsibility to her new room mate, whom ignored me and my request for the deposit, even after me giving the option of paying in small increments.

Shes finally moving out of the house and will be getting her deposit back from the real estate company. After many back and forth conversations, she claims that becuase I didnt give her adequate notice and didnt clean the place after I left that I dont deserve the full $400, she offered to give me $300.

My question is, would it be worth the hassle to take her to small claims over this situation. Keep in mind upon moving I didnt sign and contracts, my name was not on any legal documents involving the property etc. I have carbon copies from checks thats all. Its my word against hers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">