• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenant wants occupant out

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

matrix_l

What is the name of your state?Texas
Background: I moved to another state with two children, things did not work out and came back to Texas. My daughters father rented and apartment in his name for us to have something to move into immediately and has me on the lease as an occupant. I have paid rent on time every month and have three months left on lease, he does not live in the apartment or ever has, we never changed that since things seemed to work fine the way they were.
Now he is mad at me and wants me and the children out of the apartment so he and his new girlfriend can move in immediately.
What can I do? do I have to leave? and if I do and he decides to not pay rent while he is in possesion of the apartment will I be liable for the unpaid rent? :confused:
Thanks for any advice!!

JETX

"Now he is mad at me and wants me and the children out of the apartment so he and his new girlfriend can move in immediately.
What can I do?"
*** That depends on what you want to do.
If you want to stay, then simply say so. He will be forced to then comply with the law, including formal written notice to terminate your month-to-month lease (that is what you have since there isn't a written term lease). And if you fail to move, then he will have to start formal eviction proceedings (lawsuit).

"do I have to leave?"
*** See above.

"and if I do and he decides to not pay rent while he is in possesion of the apartment will I be liable for the unpaid rent?"
*** If your name is NOT on any lease, then the answer is no. The party who signed the lease is liable. Also, if you had a REAL mean streak, you might just let the landlord know that he has subleased the unit to you. Most leases include a clause prohibiting a leaseholder from subleasing the property to someone else.

M

matrix_l

Thank you for the reply, that deffinetly helped to shed some light on my situation..not sure what I will do but at least now I know my options and that will help in any decision I make... :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">