• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenant who will not leave

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

steinba1

New Jersey is the location of problem.

My mother rents a 3 bedroom home, she occupies one room and rents out
the two other rooms. I believe (but not certain) that the landlord approves of her renting the rooms in order to meet the rent requirements.

Unfortunately one of the tenants has been late w/ rent on 3 consecitive months. And now rent for July has not been paid, and 40% of June's rent
is still outstanding. She spoke with him 5 weeks ago and said that if he was not paid up in full by a certain date (last week) that he would have to move out. He was unable to pay and is now refusing to move out w/o an eviction notice.

He is not on the lease. can he claim residency to the point where eviction is required? He is just buying more time by requesting an eviction notice. A verbal agreement to live there was all that was made. He's more of a guest than a resident in my mind. He has been there for a few months now though.

Can anyone out there tell me what the rules of the game are here?? This guy is really causimg financial hardships for my family.

Thank you in advance for your help.

--Steinba1

J

Jen2

This is something the LL has to deal with. If the LL knew that he moved and was supposed to pay a portion of the rent, he should have made him sign a lease and either way will have to go through eviction proceedings to get him out. If the LL didn't know about him staying there, the finacial agreement he made with your mom doesn't mean squat and it's your mom who will be responsible for full rent, not a thing you can do about that.

My advice, come clean to the LL, find out what he did or didn't know and go from there.

Good luck

S

steinba1

Thanks Jen2. I appreciate your help.

Anyone else out there have an opinion or ideas how I can resolve the issue? Agree w/ Jen2? Other thoughts?

HomeGuru

steinba1 said:
New Jersey is the location of problem.

My mother rents a 3 bedroom home, she occupies one room and rents out
the two other rooms. I believe (but not certain) that the landlord approves of her renting the rooms in order to meet the rent requirements.

Unfortunately one of the tenants has been late w/ rent on 3 consecitive months. And now rent for July has not been paid, and 40% of June's rent
is still outstanding. She spoke with him 5 weeks ago and said that if he was not paid up in full by a certain date (last week) that he would have to move out. He was unable to pay and is now refusing to move out w/o an eviction notice.

He is not on the lease. can he claim residency to the point where eviction is required? He is just buying more time by requesting an eviction notice. A verbal agreement to live there was all that was made. He's more of a guest than a resident in my mind. He has been there for a few months now though.

Can anyone out there tell me what the rules of the game are here?? This guy is really causimg financial hardships for my family.

Thank you in advance for your help.

--Steinba1
**A: the guy is correct. He is a m/m tenant of Mom's. Mom needs to follow the L/T law which requires proper written notice to terminate a m/m lease or terminate a lease due to non-payment of rent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">