• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

TENANTS FROM HELL screwing hardworking landlords up intentionally, LANDLORDS BEWARE

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mslady

What is the name of your state? Brooklyn, NY

Yes, you Tenants, and i have been a Tenant for so many years and paid my rent on time - never late, never been to housing court, didn't ruin people's properties and didn't try to manipulate the system or take it for a free ride. If i couldn't afford an apartment, i moved out and moved into a place i could afford. It's that simple.

Now i am a landlord, my first home, in a little over a year i have bought my property. Nice two family house in a quiet residential neigbhourhood. Got a tenant (what i thought was a nice well-behaved lady) into the 2nd floor, out of many applicants for the apt, she came across as the most responsible but i was completely wrong. I didn't do enough background check in addition to the documents she submitted. I am now finding out, she collects child support from 3 different men on kids that don't even live with her, she dumped them on her mother. Endless parties, noise, drugs, fights breaking out, doors being punched and kicked in countless times, cops in the apartment settlings scores btw her and her criminal "boyfriends" everyday. I moved into this neighborhood and in little over a year, my neighbors have written me about 6 letters to complain on her (2 in the past month). She hasn't paid in 8months. We've been in and out of court and anytime it gets to the marshalls coming, she goes back to court for some stupid reason or another. One time it was "oh my kids have no where to go" till the judge found out she was full of **** and ruled that i evict her. She then withdraws her case again and brings up another motion that she never wins but she manages to waste everyone's time.

Why was i unlucky with this Tenant from hell?
Just cos they know the law, they think they can manipulate, knowing its not the least easy to evict tenants, knowing it takes time, some solid 5-6 months if they play it well. Some tenants have made it a habit to pay only a few months and then decide to stop paying knowing that non-payment and holdovers take months to get resolved, so these evil-doers think they can swing by for free, take the entire justice-system on a ride cos they can.

Hardworking people, save all they can to buy a property and rent it out thinking they are doing the right thing. Quick to do repairs, quick to respond, alway there, but the Tenants for some reason or the other is never satisfied, no, they want to live for free. They want to make everyone's life on the block a living hell. They want people to be scared to walk out of their homes at night. The succeed in devaluing good properties. This justice system needs to change but now that we have it the way it is, it is a big hard learned lesson for me, as a new landlord to be very careful who i accommodate and rent my apartment to. PLEASE LANDLORDS, SCREEN SCREEN SCREEN AND SCREEN potential tenants. Even if they tell you they work and show you paystubs and proof of a million bucks entering their acct every month.
1. Check that they have never been to housing court
2. A woman that collects multiple child support has issues / a man that pays multiple child support has issues (free feel to throw rocks at me, but it's true)
3. Driving a nice car/using nice things doesn't mean they can afford anything, some of them are deep-in debt, like my tenant that drives a brand new Mercedz truck and just ordered the biggest flatscreen tv i have ever seen but cannot afford $1200 rent for a brand new 3 bedroom apartment in NY.
4. A potential tenant wearing multiple tatoos and a gold tooth is a cause for alarm :rolleyes: add wig to it-- run fast landlords! chase them with a broom when they apply for ur property.
5. Credit check is important
6. Criminal and background check is important - see an arrest record for a minor offense? - don't let them in :mad:

Thanks for reading :D

Actually, babystategirl, this is an ADVICE column, and other peoples experiences can be very beneficial to new landlords and is appreciated.

xylene

In every cracker, sure their are crumbs of truth, but...

Actually, babystategirl, this is an ADVICE column, and other peoples experiences can be very beneficial to new landlords and is appreciated.
This poster is just the rantings of nut job.

Who on hearing a contrarian (but realistic) opinion labeled an esteemed poster as bankrupt morally in the ethical AND religious sense. :rolleyes:

Cracked.

Just Blue

My name is BAYstategirl. Learn to read. And then read the other postings by this nut....The ones that Admin has allowed to remain that is.

BTW: This FORUM is for legal questions. Not a COLUMN for mentally fragile individuals to rave about their business and insult ALL renters. This OP did not do what is required in order to insure a good tenant. She now wants to take her anger, caused by her own incompetence, out on me for suggesting that she go to a different site to rant.
Per her OWN posting she didn't have a legal question...therefor she should go elsewhere.

www.crazylandlords.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by seniorjudge
Was there a question there?

Hi senior judge, I guess not

BL

I happened to be in a store , at the service counter .

This " person " was ranting on the how "welfare tenants " are scum .

He must have been a LL .

I gave him a stare " as if " .

The kind lady behind the counter ( that I have joked with while doing business ), looked at that " person " , and in a low voice , told him why don't you be quiet , we have constomers in here .

Alaska landlord

Sisieko, Welcome to the world of landlording and never let your guard down again. After this experience you are a wiser and a better landlord. Don't let the likes of babystategirl and xylene get to you.

Shay-Pari'e

Sisieko, Welcome to the world of landlording and never let your guard down again. After this experience you are a wiser and a better landlord. Don't let the likes of babystategirl and xylene get to you.
They are right though. This is a advice forum. I don't see advice in her post and I don't see a question. You must of failed at looking at her other posts.

Alaska landlord

They are right though. This is a advice forum. I don't see advice in her post and I don't see a question. You must of failed at looking at her other posts.
The advice is to be careful and diligent with your property and to conduct a thorough background check on all applicants. She further advices that LL’s not allow themselves to be fooled by appearance or personality. Sisieko is an excellent example of what can happen to trusting people who fall prey to professional tenants. Her message serves as a powerful lesson to all landlords and she does not deserve to be labeled a nut job.

Her tenant is the reason that there are LL's out there like me that appear to be cold hearted. The fact is that nice people quickly learn that being compasionate and trusting is very costly in this business.

Just Blue

The advice is to be careful and diligent with your property and to conduct a thorough background check on all applicants. She further advices that LL’s not allow themselves to be fooled by appearance or personality. Sisieko is an excellent example of what can happen to trusting people who fall prey to professional tenants. Her message serves as a powerful lesson to all landlords and she does not deserve to be labeled a nut job.

Her tenant is the reason that there are LL's out there like me that appear to be cold hearted. The fact is that nice people quickly learn that being compasionate and trusting is very costly in this business.
Read her other postings. She is nuts.

Edit: Try this thread...OP is very strange to say the least...

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=394560

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">