• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenants not moving out, not paying rent, and not on the lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tracyll

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

This is more drama than i can handle. Need some advise.

I'm a landlord. I signed a one-year lease with a lady and her mom. The lady has three children. The lease is supposed to end November 15. But the lady told me her mom lost the job and needed to end the lease early. I gave a Notice of Termination letting them move out on June 1, and they agreed.

On June 1, the lady told me she and her mom vacated the property, only with some stuffs left in the house that don't belong to them. The stuffs belong to her husband.

On June 2, I went to the house planning to do some work to prepare for renting to the next tenant. But turns out that her husband still lives there, with one of their daughters, with lots of stuff (not just some stuffs). Turns out that her husband moved in with them since November. But her husband's name is not on the lease. The lady's mom didn't lose the job either, i verified from her employer.

I met her husband on June 7, given him a "Notice to pay or quit", deadline to act is June 12.

Today is June 15, no rent yet, i assume he hasn't moved out either.

Drama, drama, drama. I'm planning to go to eviction court, taking both the lady, her mom, (even though they already vacated the house) and her husband (even though his name is not on the lease). Then taking both to small claim court for rent loss.

Just want to make sure I'm handling it right.

Cvillecpm

Their/your termination notice is not effective since the property is not vacant and they knew there was an additional resident.

Yes, hire an attorney and file against EVERYONE!!! Tenants on your lease AND the husband!!! Let the judge sort it out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">