• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tenants rights in subsidized housing advice?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Blackwatch

I live in Spokane, Washington and would like to obtain advice on my rights as a tenant living in subsidized housing. I would like a non-governmental advocate site if anyone knows of such.

I am incurring retaliation from a real estate management company manager, who entered another tenants apartment, during his absence, took his therapeutic animal (a cat and certified by the state of WA as being necessary for his mental well-being, thus not deemed a pet) and gave his cat to a stranger passing down the street.

I advocated for this tenant, presented evidence to the contrary to the landlord, a non-profit entity, who has not fired this manager, nor replaced the management company, and has allowed the tenant to be further abused by this real estate management company.

Now, I am the target of that companies wrath, so much so that I must relocate at a time when I do not choose to, will suffer financial damage, and have incurred a tremendous amount of stress from "doing the right thing".

I have sought remedies with fair housing, and the housing authority but the results are that I must move and that this manager will not be prosecuted, nor the non-profit suffer for allowing her to remain as the manager in lieu of what she has done. There are also several other health, and safety violations that have resulted in tenants being injured. As well as deteroration of the building because of non-repair etc.

Can anyone advise me of my rights in subsidized housing (whose tenancy rules are different) or refer me to an advocacy site?

I have incurred numerous injustices and so have several other tenants. I would also like to know of chances of prevailing should I bring suit against both the management company and the non-profit landlord.

I would like to better the living conditions of this group of valuable tenants that I must leave behind.

Thank you

DeenaCA

What type of subsidized housing is it? Are you on the voucher program ("Section 8") or is the development subsidized? If so, what kind of subsidy?

ecmst12

Are you aware that the regulations regarding assistant animals have changed recently, and a landlord no longer has to consider any animal more than just a pet without a certificate of special training for the animal?

FarmerJ

Police report re the cat ? this would help. Inspections reports after proofs of housing code violations are created. Meaning for one to get a copy of the housing code and taking pictures of the broken window lock that housing code says must be working , for example. Each and every item that is a problem there must be some kind of proof , same way as in non subsidy housing other wise just how in the heck does a tenant prove claims?

DeenaCA

Are you aware that the regulations regarding assistant animals have changed recently, and a landlord no longer has to consider any animal more than just a pet without a certificate of special training for the animal?
The change to the ADA rules applies to "public accommodations" like the grocery store or restaurants. It does not apply to assistance animals in rental housing, which may include "emotional support" animals or other assistance animals without certifications or training. Please see the February 2011 HUD memo explaining the difference at http://www.nacua.org/documents/FHA_Memo_ServiceAnimals.PDF:

The ADA regulations' revised definition of "service animal" does not apply to reasonable accommodation requests for assistance animals in housing...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">