• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenant's visitor claims hurt on job site when my contractor was building additon

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

procogent

I'm a landlord in Washington state and I just received a notice of small claims for $5000 from someone who was visiting a tenant of mine three years ago while I had a construction project going on. I've never even met this person but they're claiming they were injured and it cost them $5000 in lost wages. They have me listed as the 1st defendant and the contractor listed as the 2nd defendant.

I have no idea what the details are or if this claim is even legitimate. I also haven't even talked to the contractor in two years and have no idea who would even be at fault. Does anyone know if this is something that I would be liable for or what the best way to handle this situation is?

The tenant this person was visiting three years ago was a derelict habitual crack-user that I had to go through the whole eviction process with and still owes me several thousand dollars in rent and attorneys fees.

STEPHAN

My homeowner's insurance?
Usually you have (limited) coverage for this. I googled a bit, but I could not see for sure how this is in Washington State. Who are you with? But regardless, I would talk to them first. Also, it might be your obligation to inform them ASAP.

STEPHAN

Talk to them!

From their website:

Protecting Yourself

Accidents happen ... and as a homeowner, you could be held liable for injuries to visitors that occur in and around your home due to unsafe conditions.

As an American Family homeowners insurance customer, we can help protect you from many types of liability claims and lawsuits brought by others for accidental bodily injury or damage to their property while in your home.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">