• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tennants withheld info, is my friend obligated to pay rent?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ashonii

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

So my friend just moved to Goleta, CA to be closer to the school she was accepted into. She found an online ad from a group of girls advertising a vacancy in their apartment and moved in around September. She paid her rent and a deposit to the girl that was moving out as well. About 2 weeks ago the landlord visited the house to examine a pipe leak and discovered that their were two more beds in a room than there should have been. He told the tennants on the lease that everyone else had to be moved out by the end of December or sign on to the lease by paying a deposit. My friend said no one even told her she needed to be on the lease to stay there initially, and the girls on the lease are insisting they can't give her the deposit she paid even if she moves out immediately. So I'm wondering if she should even pay rent for December since they withheld this vital info and inadvertently got her kicked out of the apartment? And if she refuses to pay and stays can they call the police to have her forcibly removed? Thanks in advance

FarmerJ

The police should not concern them selves in civil issues such as landlord tenant issues between roommates that are not criminal such as assault, breaking and entering , theft etc. If the police were called the best response is` I paid to live here so this is a landlord tenant issue not criminal` The women she rented the room from created a sub tenant relation ship with her as soon as they let her move in. The LL obviously since its near a college area The LL is fully aware of how far things can get out of hand with people who move in but he /she has no idea as to who they are. The women who rented to her like it or not have become landlords and they are obligated to follow your states laws so as far as this problem goes the LL has the right to send notice to the other women demanding they correct the lease violation they created, deposit funds well this is a problem, does she have a receipt showing to who she paid , Did the Landlord formalize the demand to cure the problem by every one being on the lease or get out in a written notice to them ? It really would be easier for the other women and her if they all could be on the lease because in the end she too could end up on the bad end of court records that landlords use to screen applicants .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">