• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

terms to break lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

twilly1191

I reside in Chicago IL, and I'm renting the first floor of a three flat. I just discovered that the buildings electric is all on my unit, including: the stairwells, the outdoor security lights, and the basement which has the public laundry "quarter machine washer and dryer." Am I responsible to supply for all of this? Does this allow me to break lease?
Thanks,
Desperate Tenant

FarmerJ

First did your written lease disclose to you that your meter served some things other than the apartment you rent ? second does your city have a ordinance that requires any landlord who has a building with utilities that are not totally separated to have the utility bill in the LLs name ( which might give reason for a landlord to include it or apportion the bill (assigning a percentage for a tenant to pay in the lease ) see what you learn from your city then post back please.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">