• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Terrified in apartment- stalker/creeper

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BL

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for your replies... this is all really happening and it is terrifying.

I have had my locks changed and I did buy a nanny camera. The thing is, I'm not sure whether or not the landlord has something to do with all of this. The fact of the matter is when I spoke to the girl before me she heard our landlord pull aside the cops and tell them "It was probably just her boyfriend". He was making up excuses for the footprints in the snow, "just getting meter reads" and he never told me prior to moving in that there was some michevious activities taking place. Also the fact that he ABSOLUTELY will not allow a couple to move in makes me CRAZY! His excuse was at first 1) the square footage was enough (which my place is over 900 square feet (its huge) 2) then he started saying the parking spot was only for one 3) then he said they would use up too much water.... its all a load. I feel like he won't approve anyone to move in... the only people who have been interested have been single girls and that one couple. And I don't want to put any other girl in this situation!!! HELP! is there anything?? I called the AG office and all he said was wear a whistle around my neck, buy pepper spray, and be careful.
http://www.housingnyc.com/html/resources/attygenguide.html#1[/U]]NYC Rent Guidelines Board

Read about subletting .

TinkerBelleLuvr

One more thought - have you considered telling the landlord that you have a possible SINGLE male for the apartment and see what the reaction is?

larsony11@gmail

there's more

again I could be jumping to a lot of conclusions (especially with tagging it on my landlord) or maybe there are just WAY TOO MANY coincidences taking place here but several weeks ago, as I was talking to the previous tenant on the phone about everything I was going through and the previous Thursday was when I saw the 1st set of footprints in the snow, she had moved several streets away into a new apartment. The previous Wednesday she woke up with footprints outside of her NEW apartment bedroom window. (her words exactly was "what a coincidence I live in 2 houses and have 2 peeping toms??") My first question to her was, did you have your mail forwarded to your new address- her answer was yes... also I have been trying to find any sort of cases online against my landlord and a majority of them seem to be against females and one in particular was at my same building (it is a house)- so I am not sure if anyone else that has lived in my apartment has been through the same thing. There really isn't a way to find out which is unfortunate...

TinkerBelleLuvr

have you done a reverse address search for your address to see if there are any other names of previous people at that address? There used to be reverse address directories by year available. I would contact the police to see if they have any access to those.

I googled reverse + address + lookup to see what was there.

again I could be jumping to a lot of conclusions (especially with tagging it on my landlord) ...
I don't think anyone can help you unless you answer our questions.

Specifically, have you broached the subject of a single male tenant with your landlord? If so, what was his response?

What did you see on the nanny cam you used prior?

Do you have any stressors that an offender might use to single you out? This would help in determining who the offender might be (rather than jumping to any conclusions).

Is the previous tenant willing to vouch for your situation by providing details of her own to the police?

Again, no one can help you if don't answer the questions put to you.

larsony11@gmail

I just had the conversation about the couple yesterday afternoon, so no I have not tried to discuss a single male occupant. (its a good idea)

I'm still learning the nanny cam- it is a little cheap one and sound activated so far I have only captured myself leaving. (the battery had powered off in the past, so I have a new spot to put it where there is a plug)- it has only been up for a couple of days now and I haven't seen anything yet.

I'm not sure what you mean by stressors that may be used to single me out but let me try to answer the question- I just moved to the area by myself(this may be one) so I only know a few people. But my life has been extremely stress free in my job and friends category. This really has been the only thing adding stress to my life since my move.

I asked the previous tenant if she would go to the police station with me, and she said she would if she didn't have work the next day. So yes, she would vouch for me and tell her story. (she thought she was being paranoid until I called her with the same story- so in a way it was comforting to her)

Again, thank you for your replies- it makes me feel as if I'm not totally alone in all of this

Okay, from what I can tell, the person stalking you is someone you know. Or at least, someone you see in the area. I'd go with LL, but that's just me.

And I'll come clean: I asked about the stressors for two reasons. 1) It might hint at who it is and 2) it eliminates your likelihood of being a pseudovictim.

I think it's likely your LL.

The ability to access your home without leaving indications of break-in, the refusal (despite a previous situation) to believe the existence of a stalker, his interaction (as you described) with the police, and, if its confirmed, his refusal to rent to anyone other than a female.

Also, and I think equally telling, is that the landlord would have access to her new address. I don't put much stock in the forwarding address situation. Namely because if it's done correctly, mail never arrives at the "old address" ~ it's forwarded directly to the new one. Also, typically, mail is left in a secure location that can't necessarily be accessed easily by others. At least, not without picking the lock ~ and that sort of high-risk would not be typical for a "stranger" stalker.

You need to ask him about whether he'd accept a male tenant to replace you.

ETA: I also think it'd be prudent to order one of those background checks online. If he has a history of nuisance crimes, he's most likely your man.

TinkerBelleLuvr

I agree with Creative. If you have a sliding glass door, make sure you put something in the track to prevent it opening (think stick like broom).

Make sure that ALL windows are locked. If you don't want powder directly on carpet, lay a piece of plastic under the windows and doors to show evidence if anyone did come in the door. Be meticulous about one in front of the door which might include lining up the plastic to a particular line so you can see if someone "moved" it and tried to fix it. If you don't want to do that, put a small thread in the door when you close it for the day. It should still be there when you get home.

I wouldn't just have ONE nanny cam, but several set up through out the apartment .

And obviously ... if you EVER have reason to believe that someone's been in your home, do NOT enter said premises alone. Grab a friend or neighbor and have them enter with you.

(Obviously that's in situations where an entry is obvious to you, but not likely to the police)

applecruncher

OP - All this security camera/nanny cam and various other theories and suggestions are sounding like some second-rate movie or Nancy Drew novel
. . .You KNOW someone is stalking you and you KNOW someone has been in your apt going through your stuff , and you KNOW someone is peeping in your window. You say you're terrified. Why don't you just pack and get out?? NOW. Stay with a friend or relative or whatever. Your safety should be your first concern. You've made police reports. Let the creepy landlord find another victim, and if he wants to sue you for leaving your defense would be concern for your safety.

Last edited:
Wow, there is actually some good advice given here. So I'm going to add a little more for others reading this.

Many Nanny cams only record when they see movement. That is the only type you should buy.

Before going to bed at night, park a chair up against the exterior door. Then set a glass or bottle near the edge of the seat. Never so close that it can fall on it's own.

When you get a stick or a pipe to put on the bottom track of the slider: cut it short ~ 3 or 4 inches short. Slide it torwards the door so that if someone does try to open the door from the ouside it will let the door open only a few inches before getting jammed. It will actually make it harder to brake in then if it was cut to fit tight and because it will slide away from the slider it will show that someone tried to get in.
The POLICE will take notice. The culprit will be caught out side instead of getting tripped up after he is already inside....

And another trick that might sound extreem but will provide a lot of peace of mind:
Using a bread tie, shape it like a horse shoe and wrap it around the door latch (plunger thing that holds the front door shut) whenever you leave for work place it on the the latch.
When you return it should fall out when you open the door.
If you can't get that to work you can always bend it a few times and just place it in the crack as you close your door. Carboard may also work.

Hope some of this helps.

Legal Disclaimmer: These are just some of the steps that you can take. They could fail. 24/7 live in armed guards may be more effective.... :cool:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
We interrupt this thread for a breaking question.

CreativeBlock, do I know you from another board?

We now return to your regularly scheduled programming.

Yeah, that's really a great way to live. :rolleyes:
Why don't you just pack and get out?? NOW.
No, it's not. But to be honest, if she didn't leave posthaste the first time she saw evidence of a repeated break-in, it's not likely she will on the basis of our telling her to.

So, in my mind, giving her advice on how to take care of herself is the next best thing. And all we can really do.

TBH, I would have put Flo-Jo to shame the moment I saw footsteps outside of my bedroom window. But that's just me. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">