• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there a limit to the amount of the late fee?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LMK2011

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

Is there a limit to what the landlord can charge as a late fee? Our rent is $775 a month. Our lease agreement states that if you are late, there is a 10% late fee, plus $3 a day.

We are now being told that this is over the amount that can be charged. She cited PA 41 P.S. § 202. That deals with banking laws in Pennsylvania.

Banned_Princess

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

Is there a limit to what the landlord can charge as a late fee? Our rent is $775 a month. Our lease agreement states that if you are late, there is a 10% late fee, plus $3 a day.

We are now being told that this is over the amount that can be charged. She cited PA 41 P.S. § 202. That deals with banking laws in Pennsylvania.
What do banking laws in PA have to do with your late rent fee, which you agree'd to by signing the lease? (which is totally legal BTW)

LMK2011

I'm not late with the rent. My tenant is late with the rent..three months in a row and has not paid any late fee saying that the fees are too high. We have it as 10% of the rent, plus 5 dollars a day.

Who's Liable?

Some state LL/T laws are pretty vague on how much a late fee can be, and others give you a set number. Many times they(LL/T law) state it can't be "unreasonable". What "unreasonable" is, can be interpreted many different ways. However I wouldn't put it so high it makes a judge cringe.

Banned_Princess

MY lease in TN, the late fee was 10% every day it was late.

so, no there is no limit, especially if the tenant agrees by signing the lease with the late fees explained.

your late fee has nothing to do with any banking laws. (besides the security dep interest laws of some states.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">