• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Threatening/Harassing LL already moved someone into my rented room

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tra_la_la

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

Hello all,

Well, I'm back. I went to update my post "Landlord threatening my life" (last post was on Dec 25) but it has been closed so I have to start another one.

I sent the arrangement letter certified mail (on Dec 24 & they received it on Dec 26) stating that:

* I have moved out and my forwarding address is PO Box *******

* I will be coming to the house to gather the rest of my belongings on Dec 31, 2009.

* The $600 is for the car repair (parts/labor) and that I will pay $100 a week for six weeks if he signs and returns the "acceptance of terms" letter (see below)

* To receive December rent, I would pay it as soon as I had my belongings out of the house and that I am not harassed while I gather my things. (this was also on the "acceptance of terms" letter)

* The house keys would be given back after I get my belongings.

* If he agrees to these terms, to please sign and return the "acceptance of terms" letter and mail it in the addressed envelope with the stamp on it addressed to my PO Box.

I went there today with several friends and shockingly, there were people already living in my room and most of my stuff was gone (my coffee maker, my vacuum, and dog food bowls were my only possessions I could see and I took them). I asked my roommate where my stuff was and he said he wasn't involved, called the landlord. The LL said for me to go wait outside for him to get home.

Since he threatened me last week and I don't trust that he would control his temper, I left and went to the Sheriff Station. The Sheriff said it was civil and they couldn't do anything (but they recorded that I was there, the reason, etc).

So what do I do now? I had my mattresses, desk, big screen tv, a 27in TV that was in the living room, and all my kitchen stuff (pots, pans, dishes, etc). I was told to just leave it alone and write it off. This is a horrible way to start the New Year.

I hope everyone has a wonderful 2010 :D

Banned_Princess

Well Ma'am, this is quite sticky.

Since you told him you didn't want the stuff, and he should dispose of it.. I think he did.

I would (if it were me, being a regular consumer) I would add up the values of the stuff I left (depreciated value), Then I would file a complaint in my civil courthouse and have it all out there. You sent the certified letter about going to get your stuff, and he never notified you that he was going to dispose of it.

At this point theres nothing else to do but sue him. So good luck and have a blessed New Year.

Tra_la_la

Thanks Banned_Princess. I thought legally he couldn't remove my belongs or even go in my room. Thank goodness I have those recordings still where I said that I still have things in my room that I wanted but was too intimidated to go back to the property.

I'm going to go to the tenant legal assistance office on Monday.

Have a safe and blessed 2010 :D

BL

When the LL said he/she would be over and wait outside ,why on earth didn't you call the Sheriff's office to come and assist then and there ,given the prior threats ,if they were available?

Perhaps you could have retrieved your belongings .

Now you have to file suit .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">