• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Threats and false accusations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Daeryon

Hello! My family moved in to a house near Orlando, FL area and stayed there for almost 3 month. It was a written agreement for rent, during which we were threatened several times and were harassed by landlord that tried to evict us illegally by false calling 911 and bringing a third person to scream, curse and threaten, again trying to evict. She also was making repairs during our stay and used poisonous paint which we had to breathe through cloth used as mask, 3 days in a row. Landlord also kept a deposit because we moved out early and lived for last 2 weeks with no basic utility at all. Now landlord is trying to accuse us in stealing her belongings we never touched and demands more money for something (internet) that was paid in full by deposit. Should we call police in advance and let them know that this landlord is illegally harassing us?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It sounds to me like the LL feels you owe money and is asking you to pay it.

Daeryon

We have moved in for 3 months which was discussed in advance and is written down on paper. 3rd month was supposed to end in the middle of December, but we moved out in the first days of December due to harassment and threats. We paid first 3 month in full and didn't pay the 3rd month because they turned off everything in the house in the middle of November and left us inside with no electricity at all. We also asked her to use the deposit or to show proof of deposit safety for us to pay which landlord refused to provide. Everything started after first month when she got payment for second month. She falsely called police and tried to evict us by herself with her relatives in the middle of November. I was ready to pay her the money if she could confirm the safety of deposit which supposed to be in the bank, but she refused. I simply didn't trust this person and left early to avoid conflict with deposit being kept by landlord.

Daeryon

Let me also clarify, police was told that my family tried to break into her room, and she threatened us to call police even before that. And why would she say that we stole something from her if the only we did is moved out early, leaving them deposit which covers twice more than we lived there for the last month. Now she is doing the same thing, almost 2 month after we moved out, threatening she will go to police and say we stole her kitchen pots and pans and didn't pay her rent? We never touched her stuff and don't want to be harassed any more. Is there a way to stop this? Can I call police and say this person tried to harass me when I lived in her house and is trying to do something similar after we moved out???

Gail in Georgia

"used poisonous paint"

???

"Landlord also kept a deposit because we moved out early "

"We paid first 3 month in full and didn't pay the 3rd month"

I'm sorry but your posting is very confusing to read as you seem to contradicting yourself. At any rate, the police are not going to do anything about this as they are going to tell this is a civil, not criminal matter.

Gail

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">