• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tiny little red worms in tap water

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Florida

Hello again. Well, we have just discovered that our cold tap water contains tiny little very thin red worms (the largest one was about 1/2 an inch, mostly they are a lot smaller than that). The worms can attach to surfaces on either end of their body, it looks like both ends have two suction "cups" each, the worms attached to the little plastic bowl where we put them into after we got them out of the bathtub. We have well water. Our neighbor brought it to our attention, she said to fill the bathtub up half with cold water. There were about 50 little red worms in 1/2 a bathtub, we got them out and counted them. Has anyone ever had any similar water contamination or knows what kind of worms they are? The lady who cleans the apartments said that our landlord has been aware of the "worm problem" for a while and he hasn't done anything about it. She was the one who brought to our neighbor's attention that our water is contaminated. Our tap water stinks and for sure contains no chlorine. We use bottled drinking water for cooking and even brushing our teeth.

Please don't say that "little worms are not that bad", just thinking about those worms being in the water we shower in makes my skin crawl.

fauve4

City Codes

You should call your city health inspector... sounds like a major health hazard to me!

Last edited:

south

Call the water company.

Jabby4evr777 said:
What is the name of your state? Florida

Hello again. Well, we have just discovered that our cold tap water contains tiny little very thin red worms (the largest one was about 1/2 an inch, mostly they are a lot smaller than that). The worms can attach to surfaces on either end of their body, it looks like both ends have two suction "cups" each, the worms attached to the little plastic bowl where we put them into after we got them out of the bathtub. We have well water. Our neighbor brought it to our attention, she said to fill the bathtub up half with cold water. There were about 50 little red worms in 1/2 a bathtub, we got them out and counted them. Has anyone ever had any similar water contamination or knows what kind of worms they are? The lady who cleans the apartments said that our landlord has been aware of the "worm problem" for a while and he hasn't done anything about it. She was the one who brought to our neighbor's attention that our water is contaminated. Our tap water stinks and for sure contains no chlorine. We use bottled drinking water for cooking and even brushing our teeth.

Please don't say that "little worms are not that bad", just thinking about those worms being in the water we shower in makes my skin crawl.

You Are Guilty

Banana Worm Bread
Ingredients:

* 1/2 cup shortening
* 3/4 cup sugar
* 2 bananas, mashed
* 2 cups flour
* 1 teaspoon soda
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 cup chopped nuts
* 2 eggs
* 1/4 cup dry-roasted red worms

Directions:
Mix together all ingredients. Bake in greased loaf pan at 350 degrees for about 1 hour.

:D

ENASNI

Homeowners should always have inspected their wells when they bought the property, they may even have a well Log and records from the well driller.

Some districts in West Florida will have it on file, depending on how long ago the well was drilled.

The water should be inspected every spring. If the homeowner does not have the records, check with the well driller or more importantly the local Health Department for water test results. In some counties/districts.. the Water Company is the one that does the testing of the water.

Icccky iccky..... I would do this ASAP. I want to go home and take a shower just thinking about it. But my water is CLEAN...

Any costs (if there are any) should be taken up by the LL, a letter sent as well asking them to get on this will start a papertrail so in case there is any trouble later, you will have proof that you tried to get this problem rectified.

ewwww.

I have called the local Department of Health yesterday morning and they already sent someone yesterday afternoon from the Environmental Protection Department to test the well and to pick up the worms we have collected. I have not heard back from them but I think that if this problem would be minimal, they would have waited to send someone. Maybe they know what the problem is already. The lady from the DOH told me that we're going to be hooked up to City water very soon, she said also that she is familiar with the apartment complex and that a lot of other people have complained about several things that are not ok there in the past weeks and months.

ENASNI

Ok

Well, good for you! Could you keep us posted? Also tell us what the heck they were. I kept on trying to google " red worms, worms, well water" and just kept up coming up with Bait Shops!!! it was frustrating! OY.

I hope you post back!

ENASNI

Happy Trails said:
Okay, don't mean to gross everyone out, but check out this site:
Well I almost saw my lunch again, Chinese food with Noodles... thanks a lot Happy... :(

But you did warn us.

BL

They is worms , probably the same kind a worms that you find in ponds the fish like to eat . They say they are nutritious :D

We know now what kind of "worms" we had in the well

Ok, here goes:

We *finally* found out what kind of "worms" we had in the water. They were actually mosquito larvae. The link to that wormid page was very educational I have to say :p After the Health Department sent someone to test the water last wednesday, the well has been fixed since and the water was re-tested today and it passed the test. Our maintenance guy told us today that some kind of screen that is supposed to "filter" all the bad stuff out of our water was broken and that's how the "wrigglers" could get into the water. The well has been treated with chlorine and the screen got fixed. Once again our landlord was too cheap to invest a few dollars for his tenants :::kicks landlord in the butt:::

So everything with the water is pretty much ok now, except that we really have a bad flea problem now, actually for a few weeks already :confused: We have used flea bombs, sprays, dips and shampoos for the dog and the ferret, constantly vacuum clean and I'm totally eaten up with flea bites, nothing seems to be working to get rid of those little pests. Does anyone know of anything that really works well to get rid of fleas once and for all ? They were just talking about a flea plague here in Florida on the late news and our neighbors have the same problem like us. Any input is greatly appreciated. :)

this has worked for me

we put advantage on our pets once a month and we also bought some stuff that we added to the water in a rug shamooer. like a rug doctor steam cleaner. it may help to also wash bedding in exta hot water. also you may want to get some flea powder and vacume it up because those little buggers love vacume bags. We also had success with raid flea spray. and others swear by those things that you turn on at night they have a light and the fleas are attracted to the light and they jump in and get stuck to a sticky substance. whenever fleas are in a mild climate (one that doesn't have snow and sub zero temps in the winter) the fleas are very hard to kill but it will be hard but can be done

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">