• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Told to leave friends house, no lease signed, wants to sue me.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tyler6453

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

My problem is this : My girlfriend and I moved into my friends house that he recently bought, there was no lease signed. Absolutely no agreement was drafted up or signed. We just agreed that In exchange for letting us stay there we would help him out on the bills and his mortgage. For 4 months this went on. In those 4 months my girlfriend and I have helped him do multiple things to his house and given him checks every month splitting everything. Also during that time he used ALL of our pots, pans, dishes, computer, entertainment system. Nothing that he used in that house was his save for some tools and bathroom stuff.

In the last month He had a somewhat nervous breakdown and started acting VERY strange and we all did not get along. One day finally he told us to get out immediately. So we promptly moved out in 2 days time because we were actually frightened to stay there. I have severed all ties with him.

We have a mutual friend and he told me that the person that owned the house was going to take me to court and sue me for money that i apparently owe him, stating that i owed him money for bills even though nothing was signed and all the bills and mortgage payments are in HIS name and that he never said to move out immediately, just soon.

Does he have any ground to stand on? I want to just get on with my life and not deal with this crazy man anymore. He practically ruined my life for 2 months straight. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!! :)

dduglass

If there was no lease and no signature from you, I would not do anything. The law looks at whats in the lease "only: as what you are obligated for. :)

tyler6453

thanks...

dduglass said:
If there was no lease and no signature from you, I would not do anything. The law looks at whats in the lease "only: as what you are obligated for. :)
thats a relief to know. i didn't think there was anything he could do...just wanted to make sure...

FarmerJ

People file suit against others all the time ,The thing is that the claim has to be proven enough to satisfy the court in order for him to win .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">