• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

trash removal charge...not my trash!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pacopops

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania.

Hi everyone. I'm writing because I am completely at a loss for what to do. Today I received a letter from my landlord stating that I left 13 bags of trash, a box and a fan in front of our building, and they are charging me $375 as a trash removal fee. They said that they found trash with my address on it in the bags. Our building has a "trash room" in the basement, so trash from the 20+ apartments in my building ends up there, and I have never left my trash anywhere else. I am also one person living in a tiny studio apartment, and have never in my life amassed 13 bags of trash to be thrown out at one time, nor have I owned a fan while living in this building. I have absolutely no idea what to do. $375 is an incredible amount of money to me, and I find it highly suspect that I am receiving this charge with exactly one month to go before I have to move out of the apartment. My panicked mind wanders to the possibility of their withholding my security deposit if I refuse to pay this trash removal fee, and the possibility of their ruining my credit rating if they report me to a credit bureau. Could somebody please point me in the right direction? I am so scared that they are going to cause serious problems. Thank you.What is the name of your state?

LindaP777

Send the Landlord a certified letter, RRR (returned receipt requested). Be polite, yet firm, and tell them exactly what you told us. "not your trash, only one person, always took it to the trash room, never could amass 13 bags of trash", etc. Refuse to pay it and tell them they need to find the true offender and demand the money from them and not you.

xylene

Also, if they insist it was you - demand proof that $375 worth of hauling services was used.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">