• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trouble with neighbor, can I break lease?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FClef

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hi everyone, new to these forums and was wondering if anyone could chime in on a problem I'm having.

I share an apartment with my girlfriend, we moved in this past July. Since October, we've received 3 printed notes taped outside my apartment. These notes, for lack of a better term, are negative holiday cards (I know it sounds silly). The first, on Halloween, was a sign that said "Witch Landing", which I played off as a joke and thought nothing more of it. My balcony is on the first floor that shares a common courtyard so I thought maybe someone was just decorating the courtyard.

The second note showed up a little after Xmas, and said "Bah Humbug". So I'm thinking ok...this is a little strange. At this point I should mention that I haven't had much contact with my neighbors and I am at a loss as to who is doing this. Still, pretty much forgot about it although I did mention it to the building manager.

Anyway, on Monday (VDay) a third note showed up that was a black upside down heart taped to the wall in front of my girlfriend's parking space. So now it seems there is someone (like I said, no idea who) fixating on us. I find this to be really creepy and kind of threatening. My girlfriend was mugged a few years back so she is especially sensitive to this kind of thing. While yes, this is most likely someone's passive-aggressive idea of a joke, since I don't know who it is I can't say for sure that this person isn't planning on escalating. Do we get a dead rabbit on Easter? A picture of George Washington flipping us off for President's Day?

In any case, if this was just me (33 year old reasonably fit male), I wouldn't be so alarmed. But since someone I care for very much is being involved I want to just err on the side of safety and get us out of here. We are bound by lease here until June 1, but I really don't feel like finding out what comes next with this creep.

So my question to anyone who cares to weigh in is: Do you think this situation constitutes an uninhabitable situation? The management seems pretty unwilling to deal with us on this so I'm thinking if we leave we might end up in court.

Any advice on this would be a big help, thanks very much for reading.

Banned_Princess

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hi everyone, new to these forums and was wondering if anyone could chime in on a problem I'm having.

I share an apartment with my girlfriend, we moved in this past July. Since October, we've received 3 printed notes taped outside my apartment. These notes, for lack of a better term, are negative holiday cards (I know it sounds silly). The first, on Halloween, was a sign that said "Witch Landing", which I played off as a joke and thought nothing more of it. My balcony is on the first floor that shares a common courtyard so I thought maybe someone was just decorating the courtyard.

The second note showed up a little after Xmas, and said "Bah Humbug". So I'm thinking ok...this is a little strange. At this point I should mention that I haven't had much contact with my neighbors and I am at a loss as to who is doing this. Still, pretty much forgot about it although I did mention it to the building manager.

Anyway, on Monday (VDay) a third note showed up that was a black upside down heart taped to the wall in front of my girlfriend's parking space. So now it seems there is someone (like I said, no idea who) fixating on us. I find this to be really creepy and kind of threatening. My girlfriend was mugged a few years back so she is especially sensitive to this kind of thing. While yes, this is most likely someone's passive-aggressive idea of a joke, since I don't know who it is I can't say for sure that this person isn't planning on escalating. Do we get a dead rabbit on Easter? A picture of George Washington flipping us off for President's Day?

In any case, if this was just me (33 year old reasonably fit male), I wouldn't be so alarmed. But since someone I care for very much is being involved I want to just err on the side of safety and get us out of here. We are bound by lease here until June 1, but I really don't feel like finding out what comes next with this creep.

So my question to anyone who cares to weigh in is: Do you think this situation constitutes an uninhabitable situation? The management seems pretty unwilling to deal with us on this so I'm thinking if we leave we might end up in court.

Any advice on this would be a big help, thanks very much for reading.
Sounds like something you should go to the police with, but until something more serious happens (like you get a restraining order against whoever the culprit is) then you are stuck for the term.

FClef

Banned_Princess,

Yeah that's kinda what I figured. We called LAPD non-emergency when we found the third one but obviously they've got bigger fish to fry. They said to ask around the building and that they couldn't do anything unless we knew who it was, which is disappointing but understandable. We're going to leave regardless of what management says so hopefully they'll just let us go. Fingers crossed.

Thanks!

FarmerJ

Are you willing to invest in a wireless micro camera that will send images to be recorded to your puter ? if so search for one that is weather proof if it can be in a good spot to record your door only and get a pic of whom it is that has done this. I suspect the person who has done this will be quite surprised when they find out the hard way about stalking laws in your state.

FarmerJ

BTW if you learned it was a building caretaker or a management person then you might have a little room to encourage upper level of property management to let you out of lease with zero penalty but if its someone that is not part of the Property management then I dont see LL being too willing to let you out with out a penalty.

FClef

FarmerJ,

I suppose if it comes to that I'll have to take that step. I'm loathe to take it that far since I work 50+ hours a week and I really don't have the time or inclination to engage with this person. But it looks like this creep isn't going to let it go so yeah that's a possible step. Thanks for the tip!

applecruncher

FClef
Sheesh, what a nut you have on your hands. But no real harm, no threats, and no grounds for breaking lease. I'd follow FarmerJ's advice - if you can.

(Not to make light of your problem, but I enjoyed your wit re: bunny and Geo Washington. This freak definitely has a thing about holidays.)

FClef

FClef
Sheesh, what a nut you have on your hands. But no real harm, no threats, and no grounds for breaking lease. I'd follow FarmerJ's advice - if you can.

(Not to make light of your problem, but I enjoyed your wit re: bunny and Geo Washington. This freak definitely has a thing about holidays.)
I know right? I shudder to think what the inside of this person's apartment looks like.

No please do make light, that's how I'm getting through this thing lol.

Off to radio shack!

dlw99

I know right? I shudder to think what the inside of this person's apartment looks like.

Off to radio shack!
Git 'er done - St. Patrick's Day is right around the corner!

applecruncher

Okay, you've got 4 weeks until St. Patrick's Day. I'm thinking along the lines of a naked leprechaun saying "Top of the mornin' to ya!". :D Beat them to the punch - put a picture of a wilted shamrock on your door/garage.

FClef

Okay, you've got 4 weeks until St. Patrick's Day. I'm thinking along the lines of a naked leprechaun saying "Top of the mornin' to ya!". :D Beat them to the punch - put a picture of a wilted shamrock on your door/garage.
The naked leprechaun is a brilliant idea. Plus, it gives some much needed work to one of Los Angeles' fine midget actors. Win-win!

applecruncher

Fclef
I really don’t want to throw your thread off track, and I know this is a real problem for you and your gf, but when I read your initial post I was reminded of something that happened when I was a kid. For a period of a few weeks we were getting pictures of doves, cracked hearts, love poems with teardrops drawn in the margins, etc. in our mailbox and a lot of hangups. Later figured out the guilty party was a girl my older brother had smiled at and complimented a few times. But she was 14! (He was 19 and not interested in that way.)

Is there anyone – neighbor, maybe son/daughter of someone you both know – who has a crush and might be doing these things?

Last edited:

FClef

AC,

If it is, then it would be a complete surprise to me. I can't think of anyone who remotely fits that description. That is an interesting take in it though, maybe I missed something. Thanks!

dlw99

I've been buying/upgrading survelliance systems for home and business for 25 years, and am accustomed to paying at least a few thousand dollars for the latest greatest (not including installation).

You might want to check out Amazon.
You might want to check around for a used one. There are a lot of used VHS systems available for small change, but you have to change the tape every day, and the quality is not great. However it may be "good enough" to catch your mystery messenger.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">