• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trying to evict me over water bill!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SuzyQz424

I live in NY a couple of months ago my landlord mailed me the water billl and i noticed it was $865 (it's usually about $60), it's in my lease that i have to pay 3/4 of the water bill but the hefty price was due to a leaky toilet that she didn't get fixed for months. She claims that I should have called the plumber myself since I have his number but I didn't, I called her the day the toilet broke. Anyway the water bill is in her name and I asked her to call the DEP to get the bill paid with the Leak Forgiveness Program, she refused. I have no way of knowing if she used this program and then wants the extra cash from me since the bill's not even in my name! She repeatedly told me to pay the bill and I refused now I got a letter today from her son (a lawyer) telling me that I've been consistently late with the rent (by a few days-- I almost always send it by the tenth) and therefore I'm going to be evicted--unless I pay the water bill. Is this legal?? Shouldn't they take me to court over the water bill?? It also states that if i'm evicted I'm responsible for any rent they lose after i move out. Please help I have a 15 month old and I can't afford a lawyer!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">