• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

uh oh i just rented a room and the house is in foreclosure

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

evor1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Okay so I just started renting a room from a family. I actually dont move in until august 1st. As I was dropping stuff off today I saw a foreclosure notice saying the house will be put on auction august 20 2010 on the front door. The name listed as the owner is different than the people that currently live there so I think the people I live with are not the owners. Not really sure what to expect. Do I just live there normally until the house is sold and we are evicted? I pay rent to the people I rented the room from who may or may not be the owner of the house.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Okay so I just started renting a room from a family. I actually dont move in until august 1st. As I was dropping stuff off today I saw a foreclosure notice saying the house will be put on auction august 20 2010 on the front door. The name listed as the owner is different than the people that currently live there so I think the people I live with are not the owners. Not really sure what to expect. Do I just live there normally until the house is sold and we are evicted? I pay rent to the people I rented the room from who may or may not be the owner of the house.
**A: we have a few questions for you. Before you rented the room, why did you not ask who all the parties were; like who the owner is and who the tenants are? How long is your lease?

evor1

i dont have a lease with anybody. i just give the family money and they let me stay there. never known anyone to be int his situation so i never thought about it. i looked up online and it seems that the family here will be able to stay for the duration of their lease (not sure when it ends) if the new owner decides to rent the place or 90 days if the new owner wants to move in. is this correct?

Get your money back and walk away slowly. What else are they hiding if they didn't tell you they are renters? How do you know their lease allows subletting?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">