• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

(UK) My landlord downgraded my sofa?! Is that just 'tough'?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

billyonions

UK

Hi
I rent a furnished 1-bedroom flat. When I viewed the flat it had a large modular corner sofa in the room, with enough room for 6 - 7 people to sit on it. It looked new and in good condition, and quite nice (this is not a cheap flat). It was quite big but was very versatile and gave a lot of character to the room. Now after 1 year the landlord has said (for the first time) that it was only meant to be there temporarily, as it's too big for the room, has taken it away, and replaced it with a 2-seater awful 'pink and creme flowery naff-looking' sofa which looks like something you could get for £20 from a charity shop. No signs of damage but it looks horrible and completely 'naff' as you can imagine. She offered a non-matching (white, faded and old-looking) armchair to go with it, which was horrendous and which we obviously did not want. Now our living room has gone from modern and stylish-looking to looking like something thrown together by a student or someone with no taste or budget. In fact it's exactly the kind of sofa I used to buy when I was a student 6 years ago. Is this just one of the pitfalls of renting privately? I now hate my living room as it feels empty without the large sofa. Is it just 'tough' if things like this happen when you rent furnished?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">