• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unconditional quit notice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bethmcl20

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I own a home in a college town that I rent out to 3 students- 2 girls and a guy. The guy has a major anger and drinking problem (he is only 19). Because of this, he trashing the house, and destroying the belongings of one of the girls. The cops have been called several times for his unruley behavior. The rent is almost always late. They haven't paid their Water/sewer/trash bill from January. They ran the oil tank dry (no hot water, no heat- cold temps= possible pipes freezing). The girl tenant has been upfront and honest with me about the situation in the house. She wants to move out because of the unlivable situation with the guy tenant. Her personal safety is an issue. I do not want her to suffer any penalties because she isn't involved in the damage to the house, and she has been very honest with me (even suggesting to me that I evict them). She told me what's going on, but is afraid of what will happen if they find out she told on them (the 2nd girl is kind of in the middle, but picks the side of the guy in most situations).
1) Can I serve the tenants with an Unconditional Quit Notice to get them out of the house? What is the law state in PA?
2) How do the papers need to be legally served?
3) How long do they have to move out?
4) How do I protect the house from further damage during the time they have to move out (I am worried the guy is going to go crazy and trash the house more)?
5) Is it worth taking them to court for the unpaid rent (lease ends August 1st) and damage above and beyond the security deposit? (been there, done that with the last tenants- didn't turn out so well)

Thank you. Beth

treese

1) Can I serve the tenants with an Unconditional Quit Notice to get them out of the house? What is the law state in PA?
2) How do the papers need to be legally served?
3) How long do they have to move out?
First, you must give the tenant notice of the lease violation(s).

http://www.rhol.org/csu/evictions/PA/PennsylvaniaSteps.htm

4) How do I protect the house from further damage during the time they have to move out (I am worried the guy is going to go crazy and trash the house more)?
There is not much that you can do from this point until the tenants either move out or are evicted by the court.

5) Is it worth taking them to court for the unpaid rent (lease ends August 1st) and damage above and beyond the security deposit? (been there, done that with the last tenants- didn't turn out so well)
If there are damages, you have proof and have mitigated your damages, I don't see you would not sue.

bethmcl20

Thank you for your response. I did give the tenants notice that they violated/ breached their lease after seeing the condition of the house February 11th- I sent them a letter regarding their past due Water/sewer/trash bill, and stated that the damage and destruction to the property I encountered was a breach to the lease, and that I would take further action if the damage is not repaired or if further damage occurs (which it has).
My next step is to hand deliver a Quit notice, giving them 15 days to leave the property. Then I guess if that doesn't work, I will file eviction papers. I just want to make sure I am following the proper order to things.
I sued the previous tenants and after $600 in lawyer/court fees, and probably over $1500 in damages and unpaid rent, I didn't win. I don't have the money to go through that again, especially if I won't see a dime, but I don't want them to think it's OK to do that to the house. I don't know what else to do.

ummmm, perhaps you didn't read what averad suggested....:(

If you hand deliver, what do you tell the judge when your tenants say they never received any such notice? In addition to hand delivering be sure to cover your behind by sending it regular with certificate of mailing AND certified rrr. In the event they don't pick up the letter and it's returned to you, keep it (unopened) to show the judge that every attempt was made to give them notice.

It may seem like overkill but you don't want any mistakes sending the process back to square one.

bethmcl20

According to the link you sent me, it states that the eviction notice needs to be hand delivered or posted on the premisses. I am not serving the eviction notice at this point. Today, I am hand delivering the Notice To Quit, which gives them 15 days to get out, and if they don't, then I will go through the process of officially Evicting them. At least that's what I've been advised to do. I know at least 1 of the tenants will be home to receive it, and I will post the other 2 tenants notices where they will get it. I am bringing someone with me for protection because I am afraid of what the guy tenant might do. I am also taking pictures of the current damage. Anything else I need to consider?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">