What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania
I own a home in a college town that I rent out to 3 students- 2 girls and a guy. The guy has a major anger and drinking problem (he is only 19). Because of this, he trashing the house, and destroying the belongings of one of the girls. The cops have been called several times for his unruley behavior. The rent is almost always late. They haven't paid their Water/sewer/trash bill from January. They ran the oil tank dry (no hot water, no heat- cold temps= possible pipes freezing). The girl tenant has been upfront and honest with me about the situation in the house. She wants to move out because of the unlivable situation with the guy tenant. Her personal safety is an issue. I do not want her to suffer any penalties because she isn't involved in the damage to the house, and she has been very honest with me (even suggesting to me that I evict them). She told me what's going on, but is afraid of what will happen if they find out she told on them (the 2nd girl is kind of in the middle, but picks the side of the guy in most situations).
1) Can I serve the tenants with an Unconditional Quit Notice to get them out of the house? What is the law state in PA?
2) How do the papers need to be legally served?
3) How long do they have to move out?
4) How do I protect the house from further damage during the time they have to move out (I am worried the guy is going to go crazy and trash the house more)?
5) Is it worth taking them to court for the unpaid rent (lease ends August 1st) and damage above and beyond the security deposit? (been there, done that with the last tenants- didn't turn out so well)
Thank you. Beth