• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unlawful detainer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jannalaw

i live in the city of rosemead, l.a. county, california. i would like to know what forms and procedures are required to appeal or object to a 5 day lock out notice. i was served a 3 day quit and the 5 day lock out notice but i never received any notices in regards to a court date, so of course i didn't attend and now i have until wednesday, march 14 until they lock my son, our pets and myself. thank you! janna

L

LL

I never heard of a lock-out notice.

The 3-day notice usually gives you warning of the landlord's intention to declare a forfeiture of the lease. If you do not leave before the 3 days are up, you are no longer considered a tenant, but the landlord cannot lock you out of the apartment. If you did not pay rent, you should leave, but if you don't the landlord must go to court and get an eviction order.

In L.A. County, the court will send you a notice that a suit has been filed, so you don't have to worry about the landlord getting an order without your knowing it.

But since you did not pay your rent, you no longer have any right to continue living there, and you should leave without waiting for the landlord to throw you out. There is probably no effective way for you to contest the eviction.

D

dj1

Jannalaw:

You keep forgetting what country you live in.....

In America the landlord CANNOT lock you out or shut off the utilities, or harass or threaten you out of your apartment, That is ILLEGAL!....If the landlord tries then call the POLICE and have the low life arrested!

And you have a right to defend yourself in a court of law.

Only a sheriff or marshall armed with a COURT ORDER can forcefully throw your stuff out, or move it to a storage locker.

Now what country do you live in?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">