• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unlawful Detainer Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chickfce

What is the name of your state? California

I filed an unlawful detainer suit against my tenants this morning. My question is, what happens to the suit if they move out of the property? Does it continue and can I still get a judgement or will I have to file another suit for rent and damages? Thanks.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

chickfce said:
What is the name of your state? California

I filed an unlawful detainer suit against my tenants this morning. My question is, what happens to the suit if they move out of the property? Does it continue and can I still get a judgement or will I have to file another suit for rent and damages? Thanks.

My response:

Excellent question.

If your tenant moves, then you no longer have an "unlawful detainer"; i.e., there's no one "detaining" your premises. So, assuming that your monetary damages are less than, or equal to $5,000.00, then in this situation you'd file a second lawsuit and move the court to consolidate the two actions. [Ca Civ Pro § 1048]

IAAL

chickfce

Thank you for the reply. The reason for the eviction was a 3-day perform or quit. There was quite an extensive list of damages. I believe they are more than $5000. How soon do they need to leave the unit to render the UD moot? And what kind of suit do I file next if the damages are over 5000?

ENASNI

Um

chickfce said:
Thank you for the reply. The reason for the eviction was a 3-day perform or quit. There was quite an extensive list of damages. I believe they are more than $5000. How soon do they need to leave the unit to render the UD moot? And what kind of suit do I file next if the damages are over 5000?
I am not sure if IAAL will be back or not, he is a busy guy and one partner down in his firm. But I believe he will try to come back and tell me if I am wrong. :(
You will go to civil court, if in your county your courts are in the same place there is a chance you can transfer your fees that you paid to that venue. Talk to the clerk where you filed. If you are doing this on your own. :confused: , then google up some help, otherwise get some outside help. Small claims in Cali does not allow a lawyer, but I believe civil does.

Good luck and keep us informed. I will be on a train all day today, and I am not sure how my laptop likes track travel, so do not count on me. But count on IAAL to tell me if I have given you false information.. He likes to do that. :eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">