• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unpaid Rent & Damages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jesslca321

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia
I have a tenant that is now kicked out but owes 5 months of rent and damages to the apt, totaling $2700. Should I sue? I really need my money back.

rowz

If you really need the $ and do NOT sue how do you propose to ge the $ ?

If you have proofs and sufficient documentatino then I would try & get a judgement myself....thats is AFTER I have satisfied myself that the bad tenant does have or MAY have [such as an inheritance in the near term future] such assets that could be found and garnished, seized or attached.

Or you can go and give an atty. likely 1/2or more of what you are seeking up front Y THEN try and get some $ from the miscreant.

Gail in Georgia

Because Georgia allows claims up to $15,000 to be tried in Magistrate's Court (our version of Small Claims), this is where most of the cases end up if a lawsuit is filed.

This court does not require the presence of an attorney (although you can certainly hire one if you wish).

Contact your local Civil/Magistrates Office for the steps to filing (you need to know where the tenant now lives or works so they can be served) and the costs of doing so.

Gail

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">