• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unresponsive Landlord

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kristin Mellum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Oregon

I recently moved into a brand new house that I am renting from the builder and owner. The house was not totally complete, so he dropped the rent for me, but verbally promised to take care of some things. He has taken care of some things and I have had to do some stuff myself to make the house livable. However, there are some things that he promised from week one that have not been completed- putting in a lawn, fixing the fire place and dishwasher, taking away some very FULL construction dumpsters, getting me a garage door opener and keyless entry....

I called him after several weeks about these things as he was not taking an initiative to take care of them. He said on several occasions "it will be taken care of this week." But it didn't. Then all of a sudden he stopped taking calls, his business' website went down, and his "right-hand" man's number is disconnected. I called the real estate broker whose sign is in our front yard. She told me he is broke and that a lot of people are going through similar situations as me, because of him.

I wrote him a letter I found on a Tenant's Rights webpage for Oregon, re: taking care of things in a verbal agreement and taking care of repairs/getting rid of garbage. He has not responded. I don't know what to do now.

I just moved in 2.5 months ago and if I move again, I will have to endure all the costs of moving again, plus manage all the added stress of finding a place and moving all my crap.

Thanks for any advice or feedback.

Sincerely,

Kristin Mellum

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">