• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unsigned lease still valid?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

carolinatlanta

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GEORGIA

I live in an apartment community and moved apartments within the complex in June, but when I went to get a copy of the lease the other day from the leasing office, it was noted that it has never been signed by the management company as Landlords. Is this lease valid on the basis that only I as the applicant/resident signed it?

carolinatlanta

Thanks for that, but i've already read the full policy and other than one statement:

"The lease may set forth other duties and responsibilities of the landlord and tenant. Once the parties sign the lease both are bound by its terms."

there is no other clarification as to whether the lease is valid if not signed by both parties.

I am not a US citizen and due to visa problems I am having to return to the UK 6 weeks before my lease is due to end. The agreement states that I must pay 2 months penalty and loose all deposits paid which seems outrageous considering how short a time there is left, and that I am not doing this through my own choice.

My question really is, if there has been no signature to the lease on the part of management company, can I be held to the full terms?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Give notice now. You will only need to pay for the 6 weeks. Less than that if they re-rent the place earlier.

reenzz

While you may have an unsigned copy of your lease....I'm sure your landlord/management has a signed original in their files.

carolinatlanta

No i had no copy at all, so went to get one from leasing office who photocopied their filed one which was not signed. Therefore there was and still is no signed agreement by both parties.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
And if they sign it now, it's effective as of the dates on the lease...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">