• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is an unsigned lease valid

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MysticalEyz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

Hi,
My current lease was presented to me when my landlord was doing a repair to the front door. I read it and noted to him paragraphs that did not apply to me (he had just rented out a different apartment and this lease contained paragraphs for the security deposit, my was to renew and would not need a security deposit as it was paid when I first moved in) he told me to cross it out, initial it, and he would initial it when he signed it.

I gave him the copy and he said he would mail me my signed copy. I got my copy but it is not initialed or signed by the landlord. The paragraph before the signatures, state: IN WITNESS WHEREOF: then lists our names.

Is the lease valid since he did not sign it?

Thanks
C

MIRAKALES

The written lease agreement is valid when it is signed and agreed to by both LL and tenant.
The issue of security deposit (with or without initials) will be resolved by tenant’s copy of paid security deposit via cancelled check or original signed receipts. LL’s should but do not always provide a signed lease agreement with their signature to tenant’s. (LL’s copy of lease agreement is undoubtedly signed.) Nevertheless, the proof of security deposit and rent payments are tenant’s burden.

BL

When signing a lease ,always insist the LL have two copies , one for you of the same , at the time of signing .

The LL could very well do some tricks , and sign it later .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">