• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

An unusual situation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

themrs

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
California

My husband and I allowed a couple to move their camper onto our property Dec. 1st. with the understanding that it was very temporary (approx. 3 months) With them they brought their three horses which was fine however they refused to buy feed for their horses even though we stated repeatedly that we could not afford to feed their horses. Being the sucker that I am I continued to feed their horses for seven months to the tune of $500. each month.

We told them in April that if they don't start feeding their horses they will have to leave.
We told them in May that we are at the end of our rope and that they would have to move, we were promised that they would be bringing in "a truckload of hay tomorrow." That truckload never showed and they avoided us for several days. We were then promised money for hay which of course never showed. We then told them that we expect them to move by Aug. 1st. and we will not under any circumstances feed their horses again.
They then proceeded to steal horse feed from us, steal food from our kitchen which was witnessed by my children.

We served them a 30 day notice July 1st. they then proceeded to harass us for hours that night.

My real question is this. Is there any way I can have them remove items in my garage and tack shed legally so I can lock up my belongings for safe keeping
Also they have keys to my house even though they live in a camper on the property, can I request my keys be returned to me?

I have searched our county records and found they have multiple evictions on their records, it's like this is a way of life for them also the husband has drug possession and vandalism convictions on his record. Will this in any way help me in getting them out faster?

I'm sorry this is long. I am just in a state of shock here.

acmb05

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
California

My husband and I allowed a couple to move their camper onto our property Dec. 1st. with the understanding that it was very temporary (approx. 3 months) With them they brought their three horses which was fine however they refused to buy feed for their horses even though we stated repeatedly that we could not afford to feed their horses. Being the sucker that I am I continued to feed their horses for seven months to the tune of $500. each month.

We told them in April that if they don't start feeding their horses they will have to leave.
We told them in May that we are at the end of our rope and that they would have to move, we were promised that they would be bringing in "a truckload of hay tomorrow." That truckload never showed and they avoided us for several days. We were then promised money for hay which of course never showed. We then told them that we expect them to move by Aug. 1st. and we will not under any circumstances feed their horses again.
They then proceeded to steal horse feed from us, steal food from our kitchen which was witnessed by my children.

We served them a 30 day notice July 1st. they then proceeded to harass us for hours that night.

My real question is this. Is there any way I can have them remove items in my garage and tack shed legally so I can lock up my belongings for safe keeping
No

Also they have keys to my house even though they live in a camper on the property, can I request my keys be returned to me?
Yes ask for them back. Why would you give them a set of keys to your home. As a matter of fact I would change all of your locks because they may have made and extra set.

I have searched our county records and found they have multiple evictions on their records, it's like this is a way of life for them also the husband has drug possession and vandalism convictions on his record. Will this in any way help me in getting them out faster?

I'm sorry this is long. I am just in a state of shock here.
You should have checked on them before allowing them to live on your property.

themrs

Thank you for your reply.
At the time of move in I had known them for two years, thought I knew them.
My husband and I have helped many people in the past and never had any problems.
It takes just once, believe me, this won't happen again.
Sad too because there are nice people who appreciate help and won't screw you over for it.

Bad apples. They have ruined helping people for me.

Alaska landlord

They are just parking their camper on your property. I see no reason why you cannot remove their property from your garage and placing them by their camper. Your state eviction laws may differ or not apply when it comes down to removing someone in a mobile home or camper off your property. You need to check into that.

Call some animal protection agency and see about removing them from your property.

phase08

3 months from Dec. 1 is March 1. Yet you continued to let them stay until now. You say you told them in April you couldn't afford to feed their horses, but apparently you can (and did), and you obviously didn't tell them to leave. They are still there.

Sad too because there are nice people who appreciate help and won't screw you over for it.
Yeah. Really sad. But you screwed yourself over.

Also they have keys to my house even though they live in a camper on the property,
Why did you give them keys to your house? This makes no sense.

My husband and I have helped many people in the past and never had any problems.
Good. That was then and this is now.

Last edited:

fairisfair

3 months from Dec. 1 is March 1. Yet you continued to let them stay until now. You say you told them in April you couldn't afford to feed their horses, but apparently you can (and did), and you obviously didn't tell them to leave. They are still there.

Is there some legal advice somewhere in this blithering that I am missing..???

No????... I thought not.

themrs

My husband and I are nice people. We help others as often and in whatever way we can. We have never been treated badly by those we have helped until now.

You obviously are not a nice person or you would be helpful here instead of criticizing.

Why are you here?

phase08

Is there some legal advice somewhere in this blithering that I am missing..???

No????... I thought not.
Did we miis your legal advice? Stop talking to yourself. :rolleyes:

OP: So you and your husband are nice people. Good.

AGAIN, care to answer why you gave them keys to your house? Oh. Guess that was part of the niceness.

Those poor horses
Indeed

Alaska landlord

Easy fix. change the locks to the house o anywhere else.They have no business in your house
They want to get into the garage they can ask to be let in. .

applecruncher

These people need horses like I need another dish of ice cream. As someone suggested, you should contact Animal Control, etc. although as long as they aren't being abused/neglected I don't know if they will do anything.

Keys to your house - ouch. Change locks immediately.

You gave 30 day notice. That's a step in the right direction.

nusias9

Mobile homes are protected under tenant and landlord acts. With or without a lease, I think you are still required to give 30day notice.

However, if it is a camper oppose to a mobile home, you might be able to find a loop hole.
I personally would look up your state tenant landlord act and locate the term/definition of legal domicile. Does it have running water, lights, toilettes, showers, etc? Or is it one of those pop-up campers? Pop-up campers (without water, lights, etc) are not legal domiciles.

If it's a pop-up camper, in your state it could very well be a matter of removing personal property oppose to a domicile. This loop worked for a family member after Katrina as they too were being taken advantage of. They were able to have the police remove the people from their property (not their stuff) and if they came back to the property it was considered trespassing. At that point, the officer told them that they had 30 days to have their personal property (camper) removed. It was amazing how fast they were able to move that pop-camper after they were prohibited from the property. Surprisingly, police do have some knowledge of tenant landlord laws as they cannot enforce anything that violates state law.. This may be an easy ave for you if its just a pop-up camper.

Here is what I would do regarding the garage. I would not place there stuff outside next to their camper, because if it gets damaged you could end up having to pay for that stuff.
I would write a letter indicating that the locks are going to placed on the garage and that they can 1) remove their belongings immediately or 2) only have access when requested if they choose to leave the stuff in the garage. You cannot prohibit access to their stuff if they leave it, but in my opinion there is nothing illegal about putting locks on your garage.

I'm not an attorney, but perhaps this might help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">