• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unwanted 4th Roomate Not on Lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SoxFan82

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York (Manhattan)

Currently there are 3 people on our lease, my boyfriend, roommate and I but for months now we have had to deal with an unwanted 4th roomate.

Here are the issues:

My roommate's gf for at least 4 months now spends on average 3 to 4 nights at our apartment and has even been in the apartment without our roommate there.

They come in at all hours of the night and generally have loud sex that can be heard through the use of headphones. I have complained more than once about this to our roommate.

The girlfriend takes showers and cooks at our place and does not pay at all.

My boyfriend and I finally had a sit down with our roommate and explained to her that it is not fair of them to take advantage of us. We're basically paying for a 4th roommate. Our roommate became defensive saying she has "bent over backwards" trying to make our living situation better and is amazed that it look us so long to say anything and that now we are asking her to start paying for this extra roommate that now lives in our apartment. She angrily said she would no longer have the girlfriend over, to which we said, weekends are fine, so long as she's at the apartment no more than 3 days during the week and that the girlfriend shouldn't be around when she isn't home.

That was almost two weeks ago and since then the girlfriend has been over 4 times this week and was over 3 times last week.

What are our options? I want our roommate to start paying half of the rent and paying more for utilities? Is that possible?

Also, is there any way that legally we can tell her she can't have this person over so much? Or can we speak to the landlord and get this roommate and mooch kicked out?

Last edited:

Alex23

Basically, no. This other person has a permanent residence? And you want her to subsidize your bills because she's sleeping with your roommate?

I sure wouldn't want to live with you if you were cramping my style like that. You're not the roommate's parent, so you really have no right to be telling them when they can and can't have guests over.

SoxFan82

First off, that girlfriend is living with her parents and doesn't pay rent or utilities there either.

I should not have to pay for someone to live rent free at yet another apartment. She's not on the lease either.

Antigone*

First off, that girlfriend is living with her parents and doesn't pay rent or utilities there either.

I should not have to pay for someone to live rent free at yet another apartment. She's not on the lease either.
SoxFax, I'm sure a senior member with knowledge about your situation will attend to your question soon. Give it a little time.

I only have an opinion, and I think you are right, but my opinion has no legal substance behind it...I'm not sure that Alex's didn't either.

take care, ana

Cvillecpm

You need to have a discussion with BF/Roommate WITHOUT GF present and advise that you want additional monies from her toward utilities and your portion of the rent....

Who's Liable?

You need to have a discussion with BF/Roommate WITHOUT GF present and advise that you want additional monies from her toward utilities and your portion of the rent....
X2...

OP should inform roommate of rental compensation, as well as utility compensation should the GF continue to stay. Failure to accept additional money payments will result in being sued AFTER the lease terms expire for said monies...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">