• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Update on previous thread.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gdog

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

I really didn't want to start a new thread, but I guess I am suppose to not real sure. Thanks all for all the responses and great answers in the other thread. A little update and more concerns. Just to let you know the property was put in my sisters and my name last year so it is ours, and my mother wanted him out as much or more than we did.
OK, we met with my cousin and also hand delivered an eviction notice to him. He has left but didn't get everything. We have locked the basement so he can't get back in to get anything else.
Here is what we want to do but not sure if we can.
1. He still owes my mother for part of the utilities he agreed to pay. Says he is not going to pay it.
2. He did not clean the basement when he left, especially the bathroom(was filthy). We want to charge a clean up fee.
3. I told him not to get vehicles on the grass when moving, but he did anyway. Made some pretty noticeable tire marks
on the lawn. We want to charge for damaged lawn.
4. When he moved in my mother helped him move with her truck, many, many loads. Never paid her a penny. We want
to charge him for that also.
At this point we don't really have any numbers other than what he owes for the utilities.
Any thoughts, suggestions recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance. gdog

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

I really didn't want to start a new thread, but I guess I am suppose to not real sure. Thanks all for all the responses and great answers in the other thread. A little update and more concerns. Just to let you know the property was put in my sisters and my name last year so it is ours, and my mother wanted him out as much or more than we did.
OK, we met with my cousin and also hand delivered an eviction notice to him. He has left but didn't get everything. We have locked the basement so he can't get back in to get anything else.
Here is what we want to do but not sure if we can.
1. He still owes my mother for part of the utilities he agreed to pay. Says he is not going to pay it.
2. He did not clean the basement when he left, especially the bathroom(was filthy). We want to charge a clean up fee.
3. I told him not to get vehicles on the grass when moving, but he did anyway. Made some pretty noticeable tire marks
on the lawn. We want to charge for damaged lawn.
4. When he moved in my mother helped him move with her truck, many, many loads. Never paid her a penny. We want
to charge him for that also.
At this point we don't really have any numbers other than what he owes for the utilities.
Any thoughts, suggestions recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance. gdog
You can charge him all you want, but you know he is never going to pay, so what is the point?

Last edited:

Gail in Georgia

"So we have no legal recourse we can take. Is that what you are saying?"

Well, you can certainly attempt to collect from him. You can sue him in court for what he owes. If you win your judgment, it would be up to you to collect this money. The courts will not help you in this matter. You can then turn the matter over to a collection agency which will attempt to collect for you and likely keep half of what they collect. You can also look into the idea of wage garnishment in your state (if he is employed).

Otherwise, welcome to the "land of the landlord". Sometimes all you can hope for is getting the deadbeats out with minimal damage to your property.

Gail

gdog

"So we have no legal recourse we can take. Is that what you are saying?"

Well, you can certainly attempt to collect from him. You can sue him in court for what he owes. If you win your judgment, it would be up to you to collect this money. The courts will not help you in this matter. You can then turn the matter over to a collection agency which will attempt to collect for you and likely keep half of what they collect. You can also look into the idea of wage garnishment in your state (if he is employed).

Otherwise, welcome to the "land of the landlord". Sometimes all you can hope for is getting the deadbeats out with minimal damage to your property.

Gail
Thank you Gail in Georgia. It just makes me so mad that he would take advantage of my mother, his aunt, the way he did. I really want to hurt him, but that is not the answer. But he is a deadbeat. Lived off of his mother for years, with no job, and thought he was going to do the same with my mother. We kicked him out because he wouldn't get a job like he agreed to when he moved in. Now he moved in with my uncle, who knows all the details, but let him move in with him and his daughter. Oh well, sorry for the vent. Just terribly upset but glad he is no longer our problem.
Thank you again!!!
gdog

Also plan on him countersuing for an unlawful lock out. Per your own thread, you served him with an eviction notice but didn't follow thru with a judgement by the courts. You can't use self help on an eviction. I would let it go and be happy the dead beat is gone.

gdog

Also plan on him countersuing for an unlawful lock out. Per your own thread, you served him with an eviction notice but didn't follow thru with a judgement by the courts. You can't use self help on an eviction. I would let it go and be happy the dead beat is gone.
I don't really understand what you mean when you say "You can't use self help on an eviction". And also not following thru with a judgement by the courts. I guess we're just pretty dumb when it comes to the legalities of things. Do we have anything to be worried about as far as him legally? Just not sure about your statement!!! Thanks for the response though. gdog

STEPHAN

We have locked the basement so he can't get back in to get anything else.
Depending on the circumstances, that might be self eviction and would be illegal.

You should have used the court system for a real eviction. Takes longer, but is lawful, permanent and risk free for you.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I don't really understand what you mean when you say "You can't use self help on an eviction". And also not following thru with a judgement by the courts. I guess we're just pretty dumb when it comes to the legalities of things. Do we have anything to be worried about as far as him legally? Just not sure about your statement!!! Thanks for the response though. gdog
You can't simply lock someone out, it is illegal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">