• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Upstairs landlord horror

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MarkinMD

What is the name of your state? Maryland

Hi everyone,

I live in Maryland and have rented monthly from my current upstairs elderly landlord for over 4 years. I’ve helped them in so many ways over the years it would be impossible to list. I’ve never been late with the rent and even have access to their upstairs when they vacation to turn on heat etc. We’ve never had a problem until recently.

Noise. They sleep all day and have become night people. They have hardwood floors and make a terrible amount of noise until early in the mornings. I’ve tried talking to them with no luck. They claimed it was a ghost once. I’ve called them when the noise was horrendous asking to keep it down and their daughter called me saying I cant call them anymore. I have no say in the noise coming from upstairs. I don’t want to call the police and I can’t afford to move for at least 5 months.

My nerves are shattered from very little sleep and I was thinking of getting a hotel room when they have a certain family member visit, that now makes extra loud noise for spite. She’s a former truck driver very heavy set with a rat dog. :cool: She comes to visit about 3 days a month and is the most vicious, lacking morals, giant I’ve ever met. :(

Can I ask that this hotel expense be taken out of my rent? It’s almost impossible to document the noise. I live alone in a very rural location. Any suggestions on documentation are appreciated.

If I move without the 30 day notice can they keep my security deposit?

If this continues and I have to move which will be a hardship what does this landlord having to pay for my moving mean. I read it somewhere on this board I thought. How do I document it as a hardship if I can’t prove the noise exists in the first place. Can you point me to a website explaining legal procedures if I have to do this?

Sorry for all the questions but my nerves are shot and I’m in a terrible situation here. Thanks in advance for your replies…Mark

MarkinMD

seniorjudge said:
Use ear plugs till you can afford to move.
I use a fan for white noise and use ear plugs. The deep toned loud banging penetrates both with no problem.

My situation is really that bad and that loud. :(

seniorjudge

MarkinMD said:
I use a fan for white noise and use ear plugs. The deep toned loud banging penetrates both with no problem.

My situation is really that bad and that loud. :(
I had the same situation when I was in college...only then it was Yankees scavenging the countryside making us all miserable.

Just Blue

seniorjudge said:
I had the same situation when I was in college...only then it was Yankees scavenging the countryside making us all miserable.

Are you implying that you were in college during the Civil War?? :rolleyes:

MarkinMD

What? My threads hijacked and I’m left with poop on my face. I love message boards. This is humor by the way.

I searched the board for quick answers to my dilemma but it looks like I’m screwed blue. I loaded up the truck with dumpster boxes and will slowly be packing to get out of this hell. Heck I might be able to sleep in a box. Other people do it.

Before I leave the board I want to say “Thanks for nothing” I hate you all and may the fleas of a thousand camels invade your crotches. With that said, anyone wishing to send me money can PM me for my address.

After thinking it over I may need this board in the future, so please disregard what I typed above. I’d remove it but damn it looks fabulous and I feel much better having it there. :D

Merry Christmas and all that other crap…….Mark

seniorjudge

MarkinMD said:
What? My threads hijacked and I’m left with poop on my face. I love message boards. This is humor by the way.

I searched the board for quick answers to my dilemma but it looks like I’m screwed blue. I loaded up the truck with dumpster boxes and will slowly be packing to get out of this hell. Heck I might be able to sleep in a box. Other people do it.

Before I leave the board I want to say “Thanks for nothing” I hate you all and may the fleas of a thousand camels invade your crotches. With that said, anyone wishing to send me money can PM me for my address.

After thinking it over I may need this board in the future, so please disregard what I typed above. I’d remove it but damn it looks fabulous and I feel much better having it there. :D

Keep in touch.

Just Blue

MarkinMD said:

Hi Mark....Sorry for my part in hijacking your thread....My advice .....Give your 30....stick the plugs in your ears and wait for December....

Good luck to you and may no fleas from a thousand camels bite your crotch.....only tics....yuck...yuck...got a visual...eewwwwwwwwwww.... :eek:

bay

MarkinMD

Wow folks. I was just given a 30 day eviction notice. This is what I thought was coming. They want me out of here by December 12th. I refused to sign it before asking here and there first.

Does an eviction notice have to state a reason for the eviction? This one doesn’t. Also the landlord had her sister serve the notice with her nasty, rude husband that started cussing me out. I asked if we could be civilized and talk it over to no avail. I showed them I was packing and asked for a little more time but they refuse.

I was trying to get her to write a reason for the eviction in hopes she’d write something like “Elderly parents upstairs are having health problems” or something which I could show this eviction is causing me a tremendous amount of burden. I’d then look into the landlord having to pay for my moving expenses.

Please note I never got a copy of my lease, which was a month to month agreement and I highly doubt the landlord has it either, because I’ve asked for a copy and they are refusing. From what I remember it was vague anyway. A real simple typed up lease. God that was over 4 years ago. Who knows.

This really has me upset, after all I’ve done for their family. Not once have I been late on the rent. A landlords wet dream LOL. I have every receipt for payment though. A lot of good that does. Please help me in any way you can think of. I’ll look into things locally but maybe some of you have suggestion. :(

Thanks in advance…. Mark in Maryland

Edit: baystategirl I had no problem with the way the thread sort of evolved. :D These things happen on message boards. I’ll hijack one of yours after I move and get back online.

Last edited:

treese

You are a month to month tenant and no reason is needed to terminate your tenancy. It was smart of you to try to get a reason and it was smart of them to refuse to give a reason.

Forget about moving expenses, it's not going to happen. All that you are entitiled to is a 30 day notice.

Since the notice was hand delivered by more than one party, you do not need to sign that it was received.

The only positive for you is that notice must be given in writing at least one month before the end of month when tenant is to leave. They cannot give you notice to be out on December 12, you are allowed the full month - until December 31.

If you do not move out an eviction through the courts will surely follow.

It sucks, but that's the way it is.

MarkinMD

Hmm, after looking at a few Maryland Government websites it looks like an eviction is a legal process if I cant get out of here in 30 days. I’ll seriously be trying to be out by then but it is a burden with my new job, which demands my utmost attention.

Did I read it right? A landlord can give an eviction without cause, but the eviction should state a reason. If I cant be out in 30 days I continue to pay my rent on time and the landlord must go through court procedures to have a judge force me to leave.

I can prove it would be a burden and I really want to exercise my rights as a tenant that’s being wrongfully asked to vacate. I feel so violated by all of this. I’ve done nothing wrong but to ask the landlord to call her parents and remind them I’m living downstairs and need some sleep.

God my nerves are shot. I’d better give up for tonight and look at these sites more tomorrow. I typed this to make me feel better LOL…Mark

Thanks treese. I had this typed before I saw your reply. If I refuse to vacate I’d still have some time while waiting for the court to handle it right? It would certainly help.

MarkinMD

I’ve hijacked my own thread. Being of sane mind, I think I have this figured out. I’m going to throw them a winger and pay a whole years rent in advance. They’ll think I’m an idiot and leave me alone. Yeah that’s it!

I tried talking kindly to the landlords daughter and she said “No, all I have to do is give you 30 days notice which is December 12th. Her husband was present and I think he might be the antichrist reborn. I’m trying to be nice and he’s treating me like I’m a piece of human crap. The poor fellow needs anger management classes. :rolleyes:

Another stupid question. I’m afraid at this point of my personal belongings. Can I change the locks on my door without notifying the landlord?

Anybody? Hello. Is there anybody out there. I hear crickets chirping. Where are the thread hijackers when I need them?

I also found a form to send to my landlord requesting my security deposit after I find a new place. I’ll ask to be present and take photos during the viewing for damages. Just as we’re walking out the door I’ll crack a huge oodles of noodles hiney burp. :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">