• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Using last months rent to pay current months rent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

robin0523

What is the name of your state?:confused: What is the name of your state?

Rhode island

I have a month to month lease and paid 1st, last and security when I moved in. I was out of work for 6 months. I have since returned to work and have had trouble getting caught up. I am now due for my December rent but do not have it.

My question is.....Can I use the last months rent to pay the December Rent? This would allow me to get totally caught up on everything and enable me to pay ontime in the future? I have written a letter to my Landlord requesting this but have not mailed it yet. Any suggestions? Thanks

south

Sure you can; just give your notice that you are leaving.

robin0523 said:

Rhode island

I have a month to month lease and paid 1st, last and security when I moved in. I was out of work for 6 months. I have since returned to work and have had trouble getting caught up. I am now due for my December rent but do not have it.

My question is.....Can I use the last months rent to pay the December Rent? This would allow me to get totally caught up on everything and enable me to pay ontime in the future? I have written a letter to my Landlord requesting this but have not mailed it yet. Any suggestions? Thanks

robin0523

Using Last months rent to pay current rent

South>>>>

If I give my notice but have no intentions on moving, What then? he will put the apartment in the paper right away?

HomeGuru

robin0523 said:

Rhode island

**A: do you have a written lease?

south

In other words I am saying you cannot use your last months rent as rent unless you give notice you are leaving.

robin0523 said:
South>>>>

If I give my notice but have no intentions on moving, What then? he will put the apartment in the paper right away?

LindaP777

robin0523 said:
What would be the purpose or benefit of the landlord requiring "last months rent" if the tenant could apply it to any month they were short?

My advice; pay up or be prepared to move at the end of December.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">