• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Utilities included, but shut off....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lsterling

What is the name of your state? Illinois

Hi…..My wife’s best friend is currently living with us due to the following. I would like some legal advice as to how to proceed.

She lives in a 6 unit apartment in Chicago. She has lived there since ’04. The most recent lease she signed was in June ’05. It states that utilities are included in the rent.

On November 21, her power was shut off. She has spoken with ComEd (her provider) and they state that there is no name on the account and that is the reason that the power was shut off. They have indicated that they provided power for over a year with no name on the account. They will not release the amount of money owed to her unless she puts her name on the account and assumes responsibility for the past due amount.

Her landlord has given her 2 options. The first is to pay that back amount and continue living in her current unit. The second option is to move to another open unit and start new service.

She does not want to move. She has spoken with ComEd numerous times and they have agreed that she “could” work out a payment plan for the past due amount. Can she deduct that amount from her rent?

I also assume that she does not have to pay for the week of rent that she has lived with us.

Are there any other options that she can pursue?

Thanks in advance!What is the name of your state?

acmb05

What is the name of your state? Illinois

Hi…..My wife’s best friend is currently living with us due to the following. I would like some legal advice as to how to proceed.

She lives in a 6 unit apartment in Chicago. She has lived there since ’04. The most recent lease she signed was in June ’05. It states that utilities are included in the rent.

On November 21, her power was shut off. She has spoken with ComEd (her provider) and they state that there is no name on the account and that is the reason that the power was shut off. They have indicated that they provided power for over a year with no name on the account. They will not release the amount of money owed to her unless she puts her name on the account and assumes responsibility for the past due amount.

Her landlord has given her 2 options. The first is to pay that back amount and continue living in her current unit. The second option is to move to another open unit and start new service.

She does not want to move. She has spoken with ComEd numerous times and they have agreed that she “could” work out a payment plan for the past due amount. Can she deduct that amount from her rent?

I also assume that she does not have to pay for the week of rent that she has lived with us.

Are there any other options that she can pursue?

Thanks in advance!What is the name of your state?
Yes she can take her written lease showing that utilities are included in her rent and take the landlord to small claims court for any amount she is owed. She can also sue him for an unlawful eviction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">