• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Utilities Included? Not anymore.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

davidwesleythom

What is the name of your state? Florida

Ive been in my apartment since June of last year. Just recently, as of Dec. 1, we have a new management company. When we moved in our utilities were included in the price of the rent. Now the new company is making us pay a "fee" that is a set price for each different SIZE apartment. But they are not metered in any way. In the lease it states, i quote

"Manager may modify the method by which utilities are furnished to the premises and/or billed to Resident during the term of the lease, including, but not limited to submetering of the premises for certain utility services or billing Resident for utilities previously included within rent."

I only make a fuss because not only are they making us pay for the water/sewer, but they are taking away other services. We used to have daily trash pick-up and monthly pest control, now there is no trash service and an on-call pest control, which I recently found out takes about 2 weeks to come. So in short, they are reducing and eliminating services given to us, plus charging us MORE for the little they do give us.

I have lived in 4 bedroom apartments before where the water/sewer bill was never more than $50, and now I live in a 1 bedroom and they are charging me $35, just for water and sewer.

Is this at all legal?? Is there anything I can do about it?

ENASNI

davidwesleythom said:
What is the name of your state? Florida

Ive been in my apartment since June of last year. Just recently, as of Dec. 1, we have a new management company. When we moved in our utilities were included in the price of the rent. Now the new company is making us pay a "fee" that is a set price for each different SIZE apartment. But they are not metered in any way. In the lease it states, i quote

"Manager may modify the method by which utilities are furnished to the premises and/or billed to Resident during the term of the lease, including, but not limited to submetering of the premises for certain utility services or billing Resident for utilities previously included within rent."
I only make a fuss because not only are they making us pay for the water/sewer, but they are taking away other services. We used to have daily trash pick-up and monthly pest control, now there is no trash service and an on-call pest control, which I recently found out takes about 2 weeks to come. So in short, they are reducing and eliminating services given to us, plus charging us MORE for the little they do give us.

I have lived in 4 bedroom apartments before where the water/sewer bill was never more than $50, and now I live in a 1 bedroom and they are charging me $35, just for water and sewer.

Is this at all legal?? Is there anything I can do about it?
Was this in the initial lease? Are you still on a lease (renewed) or are you month to month?

davidwesleythom

That quote is from the original lease, and I am still my original Year lease. I know it seems petty, I only have to pay it for 3 months, but it bugs the crap out of me.

ENASNI

davidwesleythom said:
That quote is from the original lease, and I am still my original Year lease. I know it seems petty, I only have to pay it for 3 months, but it bugs the crap out of me.

Well I can see why you want that pest service since it bugs you so much. :p

It is in the lease David. I believe they have to give you a 30 day notice however to change anything in the lease.

Let me duck out of here a minute and check your state's laws later. Lunch is here and me tummy be rumbling. :eek:

ENASNI

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">