• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Utilities Included to Pay Utilities

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Shawna

What is the name of your state? Maryland

A friend of mine is renting an apartment in Hyattsville, Maryland. On her lease it states that all utilities are included. Now as of 4/1/06 the landlord wants to start charging for utilities. Is he allowed to do this without a new lease in place? What can she do to protect herself? Any insight would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

FarmerJ

When did your friend get notice that the LL wanted to change it ? Will your friend have there own meters ?

heididun

If the LL wants to change to terms of the lease, I believe the tenant would be able to get out of their lease.

FarmerJ

more questions ? when does / did the lease end and what is its term ? ( is it a month to month rental now or does the lease have a few months on it left to go OR did the wording of the lease allow for change?

Shawna

FarmerJ said:
more questions ? when does / did the lease end and what is its term ? ( is it a month to month rental now or does the lease have a few months on it left to go OR did the wording of the lease allow for change?

I will ask her tomorrow when I see her. I'll to get as musch information as possible. Thanks for trying to help.

Shawna

FarmerJ said:
When did your friend get notice that the LL wanted to change it ? Will your friend have there own meters ?
Notice was given the week before change was supposed to take place.

FarmerJ said:
more questions ? when does / did the lease end and what is its term ?
( is it a month to month rental now or does the lease have a few months on it left to go OR did the wording of the lease allow for change?

This is a 1 year lease. Lease isn't up until 2007. The wording said nothing about landlord being able to change conditions of the lease.

Who's Liable?

heididun said:
If the LL wants to change to terms of the lease, I believe the tenant would be able to get out of their lease.
Wrong!

A LL wanting to change the terms of an existing lease is NOT a legal reason to terminate a lease...

The LL cannot change the terms of the lease without first notifying the renters with at least 30-days minimum WRITTEN notice... And only this can be done if there is a "lease change" clause included in the original lease, or if the OP'sstates LL/T laws allows it...

The OP will need to go through their states LL/T laws...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">