• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Utilities included taken tooooo far! My options?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

miller6161

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

We have a fairly new husband/wife tenant in our small 650sqft 1br condo here in SoCal. They have an "all utilities included" option in the lease. A nice couple - he's full time miltary, she's housewife. Incredible credit, setup auto-draft payment and everything been good so far for the first couple of months.

But, within the 2nd month month - electricity (there's no gas) has jumped almost 3x - last bill even shows +161% from "same month last year" (when we had a family of 3 in there!!!) Last 2 months' bills have been $170+ each.

I can't believe it. The MOST we've EVER seen the bill at anytime, by anyone was $65, including the family of 3 (during the same 'summer' time). Average over 6 years has been literally under $45. When calculating our cost for the all utilities included options, we calculated $75. There is no A/C. It's on the coast of SoCal averaging 72deg year round. My only assumption is that they bought a window A/C and keeping the place at 50deg. (I run 2 window A/C's in my 850sqft house and never see the bill over $100) They're running $170. I honestly can't imagine what they're doing. Seriously, i've lived here for 14 yrs in small condos, homes, apartments, and even my own small 3 office business (where i do crank the A/C and get to $120). . and NEVER have seen anything near these amounts.

So, I'm here to investigate options before confronting tenant. I'm going to find out what's up, to see if anything is wrong (i doubt it) or just what? But my question is what do I do with any information found? {I've already had 2 friends ask the proverbial "WTF . . they growing pot?" lol} I want to know some options before confronting.

Our lease has no limits, stated or implied. Just the usual "all utilities included". Can there be any "reasonable limits" enforced? If they were even near $100 i'd likely let it go as it's not worth it, but we're talking over $160 .. i'm losing almost $100 month on this)

I *know* that i have to find out more details first, but I'll be more comfortable confronting them knowing options. This is a first for me after a handful of no-hassle tenants. I know one thing . . no more all utilities included options, already.

Thanks in advance for feedback.

JETX

Our lease has no limits, stated or implied. Just the usual "all utilities included". Can there be any "reasonable limits" enforced?
Unlikely. Simply, you cannot change the 'no limit' terms of the lease without the permission of all parties.

As you already noted, you really REALLY need to talk with them about their usage. They may have a decent explanation. Also, you can't just go by this year versus last. You have to compare 'temperature days' and other factors to see if there are other reasons that could help explain the difference.

Alaska landlord

The same thing happened to me when I first started up. My tenant was racking up water bills of 150.00 a month. I ended up evicting her for other reasons, but I learned not to include utilities. I don't know what to tell you other than to find a reason that will stick in court to evict them. If you have supplied a washing machine, you might try calling an appliance repair person that that will be able to control the output of water. Some people will wash on item at a time. After all, you are paying for the water. Install water saving devices everywhere in the house. and disable some of the valves outside the house. They could be having their friends over on weekends for car washing parties.

Banned_Princess

The same thing happened to me when I first started up. My tenant was racking up water bills of 150.00 a month. I ended up evicting her for other reasons, but I learned not to include utilities. I don't know what to tell you other than to find a reason that will stick in court to evict them. If you have supplied a washing machine, you might try calling an appliance repair person that that will be able to control the output of water. Some people will wash on item at a time. After all, you are paying for the water. Install water saving devices everywhere in the house. and disable some of the valves outside the house. They could be having their friends over on weekends for car washing parties.
Fantastic advice, only OP is complaining about electricity.

Cvillecpm

You should have put CAP on the amount to be included...it may NOT be their useage....it may be the INCREASED cost of the utilities and the TAXES the Republic of CA puts on the utilities....

Give notice of entry and then go in a retrofit with light energy saving bulbs

miller6161

Unlikely. Simply, you cannot change the 'no limit' terms of the lease without the permission of all parties.

As you already noted, you really REALLY need to talk with them about their usage. They may have a decent explanation. Also, you can't just go by this year versus last. You have to compare 'temperature days' and other factors to see if there are other reasons that could help explain the difference.
Thank you. That's kind of what I'm assuming going into all of this.

RE: weather though? There is nothing that can have happened to make usage go up 2-3x the 6 year average amount. (It's san diego . . . friggen plain old {sometimes boring} paradise 360 days per year ;) ) Plus, there isn't even an air conditioner . . . at least there wasn't any 2 months ago when we turned it over to them. The only thing I can think of is they bought one and installed it. Can a window air conditioner be considered an "alteration, repair or improvements" all of which would require LL notification/approval?

I'll be contacting them this week.

Last edited:

miller6161

You should have put CAP on the amount to be included...it may NOT be their useage....it may be the INCREASED cost of the utilities and the TAXES the Republic of CA puts on the utilities....

Give notice of entry and then go in a retrofit with light energy saving bulbs
Yea, "should have" is the painful term. Live and learn it may become.

I'll get to the bottom, but it should not have been the rates. I live in the same city . . . using same rates, etc. Unless that particular sub-section decided to bounce rates 200% overnight . . .

Thanks

Seanscott

Ask the utility company to check the electric meter. If it's not working properly they usually refund the overcharge

FarmerJ

First check the ELECTRIC hot water heater to learn if the thermostats have failed! IF the hot water heater thermostats are not working correctly they could be calling for hot water when it is not needed and pushing the electric bill way up. Then check for window type airconditioners and If they are being used find a way to get the tenant to pull them out. Also if thermostats are fine on hot water heater set them to a lower setting. Or install a tankless electric model so hot water is only made when it is called for. Also you didnt say but they also could be doing other things too like running less than full loads of wash and clothes dryer not full, they could be cooking alot more using the stove than you do, have they added a chest freezer ? the spike in the bill could literally be from all of the little extras they have that are plugged in now.

miller6161

Then check for window type airconditioners and If they are being used find a way to get the tenant to pull them out.
Thanks FarmerJ - all very good ideas. (though i doubt a chest freezer - the place is tiny, just under 650sq ft. They'd have to throw away our couch if so (it's also furnished with our stuff ;) )

Anyway - my guess is a window air conditioner. If installed, they would have had to buy and install it. (We didn't supply one, nor was it even discussed) You mention have them pull it out. That's my point above. Can I demand it to be removed or ceased from using? It may view it as a simple "appliance" that they would own and have installed.

Nonetheless . . . I'm calling them today to inquire.

You Are Guilty

Until the actual cause of the increased usage is determined, all this discussion is just peeing into the wind. However, there are certain circumstances in which you might be able to get out of paying the bill (i.e. the tenants ran extension cords to the neighbor's house who is powering his home on your dime).

Even if not, perhaps a polite request to say, not leave the fridge door open 24/7 might be all it takes to get the bills back down out of the stratosphere.

FarmerJ

If a window ac is installed into a slider window , ( really can be done) alot of attention must be given to it for support and sealing up to keep outside air out. If it is installed in a slider window opening it may be considered a safety haz because of how a tenant installed it, let alone the damage it could do to the window if it fell out. Window A/C and casements , only way to do it is to remove the window which is a alteration to a rental that would have needed permission. Double hung windows and A/c install , If done badly lots treated air loss , risk of drainage damaging walls by running down the wall or into wall cavity. Any way once you see what they are using then you would know. I mentioned the freezer thing only as a thought that for all you know they have plugged in so much stuff since they moved in that its not funny! But do take a look at the hot water heater if you do not find anything out of the ordinary. Then if you can survive this current lease then plan on next tenant paying electric them selfs and writting into the lease NO Window A/c with out written consent. ALSO maybe you might get lucky and he will be transfered to another base and of course agreeing to just let them out of the lease would end the problem so you can do it differently sooner.

JETX

Until the actual cause of the increased usage is determined, all this discussion is just peeing into the wind.
I agree. I can't believe how many "Gee, they MIGHT have done this!!!" posts are made on a LEGAL ADVICE site!! :eek:

I guess members are just trying to bump their post count!!

miller6161

I guess members are just trying to bump their post count!!
Sorry, but I don't come around here to increase my post count. I have better things to do with my time. How would that benefit me anyway? Plus, i think i have a few more "bumps" to do to compete with your 38,000+ posts ;)

As I mentioned in my OP (and re-affirmed a few times over) I'd really feel more comfortable getting a better understand of my side of things before doing the actual inquiry. I'm not taking any action on any of this speculation, and haven't acted out claiming that I should, or claiming that i haven't been receiving adequate response.

miller6161

Until the actual cause of the increased usage is determined, all this discussion is just peeing into the wind.
For me to get to the bottom of *my* issue, yes. And I've re-affirmed that many times over.

But, I actually see and feel alot of good ideas and help has been provided WITHOUT knowing the issue. Many more than if we knew exactly what the problem was.

The useful information posted by others should be heeded by everyone - even if you're not a LL but even as a plain old homeowner. Rename the thread post to "How to reduce electric bills" and it's all okay, yea? I thank everyone who's given ideas to not only better proceed on how to tackle the problem, but on how to save a few bucks - there and at my own home/business.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">