• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Utility Company

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sunkistsudafed

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Kansas City, Missouri

I recently moved in with my boyfriend and when we got the utilities turned on, both the electric and gas companies put not only my boyfriends previous bills, but his cousins bill onto my account! I have never lived with either of these guys before, and I don't see how that can be legal to make other people's bill my responsibility. I've been searching all day, and have found different answers on this topic. I really want to fight this, but am I justified?

Banned_Princess

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Kansas City, Missouri

I recently moved in with my boyfriend and when we got the utilities turned on, both the electric and gas companies put not only my boyfriends previous bills, but his cousins bill onto my account! I have never lived with either of these guys before, and I don't see how that can be legal to make other people's bill my responsibility. I've been searching all day, and have found different answers on this topic. I really want to fight this, but am I justified?
Call the companies and ask them.... why havent you done that, searching all day.

FarmerJ

Simple re the boyfriend , since they know he will be living there they arent going to permit him to leave them hanging with a unpaid bill of his, they want to be paid and they do not have to do anything special to remove the charges unless he pays them in full. NOW about the cousin If cousin does not live with you I would complain to your states utility regulatory agency about this . but as long as BF is living with you and has a unpaid bill it wont go away.

sunkistsudafed

Even if I'm the only one on the lease? I just don't see how it could be legal to make other people's bills MY responsibility. I've contacted Missouri's Consumer Protection line as well as the Missouri Public Service Commission and made complaints. My boyfriend is willing to pay his bill-but now the electric company is tying him into his cousin's bill, where he never lived either of $1200. So, what your saying is, because he lives with me now, that makes me responsible for his past due bills? Pffff.

FarmerJ

How did utility company learn he was going to live with you ? if you dont want to deal with his and cousins bill mess ask the utility company what they will require of you to satisfy them that he wont live there any more? if he cannot pay the bill fast enough to satisfy them , his not moving in at all ? his moving out? talk to the elect co. What does your states utility regulator have to say about cousins bill being added to his ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">