• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vacation Rental Deposit Issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JosephineMarie

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My daughter and her fiance recently rented a beautiful home in Carmel Valley for their wedding. The deposit fee was 1000.00. After the ceremony the home was left in good order. The rental agency has contacted them and demanded another 800.00 on top of the 1000.00 citing scratch damage to the wooden floors.

There was no final walk through.

Any advise on our options is much appreciated.

atomizer

Tell them to sue you. Most likely that will qualify as normal wear and tear.
demand your deposit.

Last edited:

Silverplum

How many weddings are you aware of that are so out of controll that damage to the wood floors occur?

I think you disagree just for the sake of disagreeing.
I ENJOY weddings (or, really, any events) at which the frolicking gets so out of control that damage to the wood floors occur!!

:p

(Is that why my hardwood floors look a bit...used? :cool:)

atomizer

What some of you fools don't understand is that different woods have differerent resistance to wear and tear. It is not for the contractee to worry about the damge to the floor will be due to excessive use due to his guest. That is why you pay a premium price for a wedding. Do you really think 1800 is reasonable? The renters should have considered the possible damage due to so many people in the home before agreeing to rent.

Silverplum

What some of you fools don't understand is that different woods have differerent resistance to wear and tear. It is not for the contractee to worry about the damge to the floor will be due to excessive use due to his guest. That is why you pay a premium price for a wedding. Do you really think 1800 is reasonable? The renters should have considered the possible damage due to so many people in the home before agreeing to rent.
Golly, I'll bet you have lots and lots of friends.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Tell them to sue you. Most likely that will qualify as normal wear and tear.
demand your deposit.

How many weddings are you aware of that are so out of controll that damage to the wood floors occur?

I think you disagree just for the sake of disagreeing.

Huh? At first you said that damage is "normal wear and tear". Now you say it's not? Hitting the sauce a bit early this weekend huh?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">