• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

verbal abuse and harrasment by landlord

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

patricknobel

What is the name of your state? New York

To cut a long story short..
I am new to US and moved into this basement with my wife and 2 kids one 5 yr and other 1 year, later i found out it is an illegal basement,

The land lady is lunatic i believe she abused us in foul language, jumps on top of the bed room when kids are sleeping, calls us 911 in fact they called them up 5 times saying that we are triping of electricity nothing was true last sunday at midnight we caught her sneeking into the house (they have a entrance from their house) she immediatly called 911 saying that there was smoke in our house that fdny arrived to find it was a false alarm, sahe has turned of heat and we are with no heat my babby was sick and addmitted in hospital, they don't give us our mail, they walk into the house when we are not there and throw things around, they reported us with ACS saying that we are drug and alcohol abusers we had to go for a test which came out negative.

I came to know that she had done the samething with the previous family as well
I am steeming can any one pls advise what to do i have a court order allowing us to stay in this place till 31 jan before which i don't want to move out.

Shay-Pari'e

Since you don't want to move out, what more do you want? How is it you got a *Court Order* to stay in a illegal basement?

Let her know you are moving out on Jan 31 and that you expect her to act civil in the meantime. Let her know that if she enters the property you will have her arrested.

patricknobel

Thats because i cannot offord to move out right now, the case went to a family court and the judge issued a stay on eviction untill jan 31st, and i don't want to be harrassed especially with the kids and the weather its like ......hell

Hot Topic

Somehow this nut went to court and got you evicted. Hmmmm. You want to get away from her....but right now isn't convenient, so hold the eviction until January 31st when you'll be ready to move. And where are you planning to move with an eviction on your record?

Frankly, some of your story sounds made up.

iyce

Unfortunately, there are some insane landlords out there. As for getting a court order to stay in an illegal apartment, the judge issued him a temporary stay because he has no where to go. That is my next question, do u have another apartment to go to? My next question is, are u in this country legally.? Sorry, but I had to ask. I take it u have a job. If you have an apartment to go to, I would suggest you call code violation and report that landlord. I would set up a video camera and catch the landlord in the act, then get an attorney and sue them. Its too bad u cant find out who the other tenants were and get them to report these landlords as well. My next question would be how did u find out about the treatment of the previous tenants. Do you live in nyc or somewhere in nys. However, the most important thing is to get your family out of there. I am a landlord of several properties north of nyc. Landlords who do these kinds of things give the rest of the good landlords a bad name. Personally, I could never live with myself if I treated another human being like that. I have been a tenant and have had a couple of insane landlords, one of which I sued and won my case. I always said when I become a landlord I will not treat people badly. So far in my 18 yrs of being a landlord/realtor, I have only had to remove one couple from my properties. I do wish u luck in finding a new place to live, if u live in nyc its gonna be rough, plus u have 2 small children, many people dont want children (although they are not suppose to refuse you rental,however I know many landlords who do because they feel its their private property and they should have the right to rent and not rent to whoever they want.}. I do hope you let this board know the outcome of this situation. In my opinion u do have a good case for harrassment.

patricknobel

thank u sir

Thank u for ur advise, yes iam legally here i have a green card and i am in queens ny, i am in this situation because my is waiting for her RN licence and its going to take atlest one more month, by then we should be moving out thank u once more.

iyce

You are most welcome, and I am not a sir, lolol. It is very expensive to live in nyc. Many people are moving north of the city, because of the rental prices. I would suggest u try looking outside of the city a little further north, unless there is a reason u have to live in nyc. I would suggest you look at this booklet. www.nypennysaver.com. You may find something to suit your needs. Realize that all landlords are not like the one you have now there are some good ones out there. Dont judge all of us by the insane landlord that you have now. There are non profit agencies in nyc who can help u with your situation and with finding a better place to live, especially when you have children. You might try the local churches for assistance as well,they will also know who you should contact for help. Good Luck. Do keep us posted.

patricknobel

hi

Hello
I have reson to be in new york because my is an RN just waiting for her licence, she already has a job but can only start working after the licence comes, so we have to wait tank u anyway nice to hear from u
patrick:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">