• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Verbal sub-leasing agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Quinn22

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hello,

I was sub-leasing my spare room due to the fact I had lost my 2nd job. Out of the blue my roommate told me he was moving out and not paying sept rent. I did inform him that he has to give 30 days written notice and that he is still responsible for septs rent. I have our original emails stating when he was moving in and that he would be staying til the end of the lease.
When I confronted him about leaving he gave me an array of excuses. One was his mother lost her job so he was movin in with his cousin. The next was he didn't feel "safe". ( I live in a suburb in a very highend area in a very trendy part of town. There is nothin to fear. I lived here alone for the 1st 6months and loved it. Plus I have to big dogs that are sweet as sin but look scary which he played with. So he wasn't fearful of the dogs. Him a I have gone out to dinner many times and he;d never said anything of the sore to me. Keep in mind I'm 4'11 100pds) then he said I opened his mail but all my mail gets delivered to my parents place and I pay everythin on the internet so I never go to the mailbox. In fact 2 days before he apparently decided to tell me he was leaving he not only asked me where the mailbox was but what the mailing address is... I know that I can sublease. My lease doesn't have any clauses about sub leasing. Do I have a case? What are my options? I took pics of the mess he left after he moved out. I have all of the emails he and I had sent about him moving here and all the text messages he sent that day and the ones i sent back to him and his mother pleading to just pay what is owed by him for sept to give me time to get oct figured out. I did tell them I didn't want to take this to small claims but I would. I just want his part of sept and I will consider that the 30 days notice and we can all move on but they said nothing. I put ads up and I;m tryin to get someone else in but the lease is up in Nov. no one wnats to move in to have to move out in a few months. I will lose about 10,000 if I can't pay rent. What should / can I do?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">