• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

WA State Mobile Home Park Lease - Home Being Repossessed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vlgee

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington State

I live in a mobile home that is in a park that has an auto-renewing lease for one year. I have been here for eight years and my lease with the park just renewed again last month for another year. I pay the house owner separately for the lease on the house, itself.

I just learned the IRS intends to seize the home for the home owner's back taxes.

Since the lease with the park is in my name, am I still responsible for paying the entire year if the IRS takes the home and evicts me?

I don't mind having to leave, but I am really scared that I am still going to be on the hook for a year of space rent even after I have to leave. I am trying to buy a house, and that would create a huge problem for me.

Thank you,
Vicki

justalayman

why were you signing a lease with the park when you don't own the home? The owner of the home is who should have been signing the lot lease.

as it stands, unless there is some "out" listed in the lot lease or the park manager/owner allows you to terminate the lease, yes, you are stuck with the lease payments.

vlgee

I signed the lease with the park because they insisted that the person who lives in the home be the person on the lot lease.

I can't afford to pay for two places, whether I buy a house or go to an apartment, it is still more than I can afford. It just doesn't seem fair that I end up paying for a a home I don't live in anymore through no fault of my own. This is going to bury me financially.

justalayman

You might have some action against the owner of the home. Time to find a local lawyer you can sit down with to read the leases involved. There may be some out in the lot lease or the owner of the home may have some liability here but the only way to know is to read the leases in their entirety.

find a local lawyer to review the documents

vlgee

Thanks for your input. I will try to find a local lawyer, but I had a really hard time finding one last year when I had some issues with the park owners. There does not seem to many who handle mobile home issues.

Thanks again,
Vicki

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">