• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Want to break lease contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bobwsmith

I live in WA. I thought I was being offered a job in NE. I flew to NE to look for house rentals to start renting on Nov. 1st, 2009. My wife and I signed a 12 month lease with a 60 day notice escape clause. The landlord and his wife signed the lease but the wife forgot to sign the strikeout provisions and the addendum. No money exchanged hands.

Now, the company decided to do a hiring freeze and will not hire me, so I won't move to NE. I also got a better offer in WA.

Is the lease invalid because the wife did not sign the strikeouts and the addendum? Since the time period of the lease has not started and no money has exchanged hands, can it be canceled? At worse do I have to pay 2 months rent for the 60 day notice escape clause? I appreciate your help.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I live in WA. I thought I was being offered a job in NE. I flew to NE to look for house rentals to start renting on Nov. 1st, 2009. My wife and I signed a 12 month lease with a 60 day notice escape clause. The landlord and his wife signed the lease but the wife forgot to sign the strikeout provisions and the addendum. No money exchanged hands.

Now, the company decided to do a hiring freeze and will not hire me, so I won't move to NE. I also got a better offer in WA.
Is the lease invalid because the wife did not sign the strikeouts and the addendum?
No
Since the time period of the lease has not started and no money has exchanged hands, can it be canceled?
Yes, if it is allowed in the lease.
At worse do I have to pay 2 months rent for the 60 day notice escape clause?
Yes, UNLESS the LL manages to re-rent the unit during that time period.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">