• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Want out of my lease as penalty free as possible

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ttbone1974

My issues

I wasn't able to turn my gas on until a week after I moved in. I called the gas company to connect service and they told me I couldn't that the matter had to be placed with their loss prevention dept. When I finally got thme to come out, the gas guy said that the doors to the closet where the furnace and water heater are located were supposed to be metal. They are wood. He said he couldn't leave the water heater lit because it was a hazard. Apparently my landlord and the previous tenant went through the same thing, and that's why I had such a problem getting the gas on. I called my landlord and told him this. He then asked me if I wanted it fixed, I said it was not up to me but yes it needed to be fixed. And then asked me if I wanted him to come light the pilot for me. There are no mounted smoke detectors in the house, except for one on top if the water heater, behind closed doors. His handyman was installing a kitchen light in my house, didn't have a ladder so without notifying the next door tenant, let himself in her house, and without permission, used her step ladder to finish his work in my house. I don't feel safe bringing my kids over on my weekend, and I just want out of the lease. Any ideas or info would be appreciated. Thanks

LdiJ

I wasn't able to turn my gas on until a week after I moved in. I called the gas company to connect service and they told me I couldn't that the matter had to be placed with their loss prevention dept. When I finally got thme to come out, the gas guy said that the doors to the closet where the furnace and water heater are located were supposed to be metal. They are wood. He said he couldn't leave the water heater lit because it was a hazard. Apparently my landlord and the previous tenant went through the same thing, and that's why I had such a problem getting the gas on. I called my landlord and told him this. He then asked me if I wanted it fixed, I said it was not up to me but yes it needed to be fixed. And then asked me if I wanted him to come light the pilot for me. There are no mounted smoke detectors in the house, except for one on top if the water heater, behind closed doors. His handyman was installing a kitchen light in my house, didn't have a ladder so without notifying the next door tenant, let himself in her house, and without permission, used her step ladder to finish his work in my house. I don't feel safe bringing my kids over on my weekend, and I just want out of the lease. Any ideas or info would be appreciated. Thanks
I have no idea what the codes are in your area, but I am 58 years old and have lived in houses with a gas furnace and water heater my entire life, and never once have the closet doors been anything other than wood. In fact, it doesn't even make sense because unless the entire closet is metal lined, the closet doors wouldn't make any appreciable difference.

FarmerJ

if local code required a metal door city / your county building inspector can order the landlord to correct it. Smoke alarms, your city county inspector can order the LL to install them. Gas service, sounds like its resolved , days you went with out services I don't know what date you called gas company to order services but why is it the landlords fault if the gas was disconnected ? (loss prevention services are all about bills owed by other customers and likely meters being turned shut off and locked so if you didn't know the gas was off then how many days ahead of actually moving in did you call to open a account? )

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">